Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2019, 08:38   #1

Solo mast climbing

Hi,

I am planning to solo climb the mast on my Hanse 320, however I have read that you should not use any halyard for the climb that goes through the mast foot blocks. Is this correct? as all my halyards go through these first then onto the cockpit cleats.
Cafemino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2019, 08:56   #2
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: Solo mast climbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cafemino View Post
Hi,

I am planning to solo climb the mast on my Hanse 320, however I have read that you should not use any halyard for the climb that goes through the mast foot blocks. Is this correct? as all my halyards go through these first then onto the cockpit cleats.

Not sure why anyone would say that. In many ways, it is the head block that is most critical (I know of one case where the axle failed, the rope dropped on the mast edge, and cut). What is critical is that you use TWO halyards, because they've been in the sun and both the halyards and every block is suspect. The ends must be securely belayed, not just in self-tailers.
Old 14-11-2019, 09:05   #3

Boat: 1987 Sabre 42 C/B

How do you climb the mast solo, and use a winch, and have the lines tailed??? Now thats talented...

Foster
flee27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2019, 09:17   #4
rbk

Boat: T37

mechanical ascenders can cause premature wear on rope, prusiks not nearly as much. You can always attach a dedicated climbing/tag line (working load appropriate) and run up that instead of your halyard. As Thinwater said make sure they are in good shape and always have a safety line.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2019, 11:19   #5

thinwater, do you mean by head blocks - mast base blocks? Thats what I'm worried about these failing especially the pins.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-11-14 at 19.11.56.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	223.0 KB
ID:	203124  
Cafemino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2019, 13:27   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by flee27 View Post
How do you climb the mast solo, and use a winch, and have the lines tailed??? Now thats talented...

Foster

Read up on acenders, Top Climber, Mastmate, etc. There are many ways, and they don't use winches.
Old 14-11-2019, 13:30   #7

Quote:

thinwater, do you mean by head blocks - mast base blocks? Thats what I'm worried about these failing especially the pins.

The blocks the halyards go over at the top. Depending on the layout, if they fail the rope can drop onto a sharp edge.

The point is, use two halyards.

Old 14-11-2019, 14:06   #8

Boat: Rafiki 37

I've been using the ATN Topclimber for years now. It's basically a climbers acender with a nice bosuns chair tied in. It can be used solo, although I much prefer having someone on deck belaying a safety line.

I hoist a dedicated low-stretch line when I climb the mast, but I could just climb a halyard.
Old 14-11-2019, 16:16   #9

Quote:
solo climb the mast .... I have read that you should not use any halyard for the climb that goes through the mast foot blocks.
It is certainly best to keep things as simple as possible to minimize failure possibilities. If you can secure those halyards above the mast base blocks it would be nice - possibly tie them off to something. If not, well mast base blocks are usually not a huge risk because you can do a pretty good visual inspection of them.

Many people like to pull a dedicated climbing line up and climb that. Again it is ideal to have that climbing line be long enough to completely replace the halyard - because it will not have sailing wear on it, you can inspect every inch, and it will be the exact right size and cover for whatever climbing hardware you use. But if not, it is also not a huge risk. If you join a climbing line to the halyard and just pull it to the top - make absolutely sure the join knots are perfect and secured and that the halyard looks good on all sections that you can inspect.

I personally prefer the "gri-gri" method, but there are a lot of hardware configurations that work fine. Just make sure you practice the transition from going up to coming down because that can be a little awkward with some techniques.
Breaking Waves is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast