Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2009, 16:14   #16

Boat: 50' custom pilot house cutter
teak

Actually, in my opinion, teak is very easy to work with because it's so dimensionally stable... it machines a lot like aluminum, in that it stays where you put it in when you do something to it. It doesn't check or warp or twist very much at all, making it an excellent material to work with. And you need sharp tools anyway, so what if you have to sharpen them a little more often? I've never had a problem epoxying it together, and I like it's strength. And beauty is in the eye and all that... I think it has as attractive a grain as any, and more attractive than most.

However, I was reading in one of the super yacht magazines last month of a new 400 footer built for one of those new russian industrialists... they calculated that a 8 full acres of teak were cleared just to do the decks. Obviously that's ridiculous and what's left won't last long at that rate.

I bought all my teak in the early eighties, for an average of under $3/board foot, and still have a little left. I think that today it's appropriate for smaller amounts of exterior trim, especially if you can pick through plantation grown, because although most of the plantation stuff is junk (too young) you do occassionally find good pieces in the mix.

If I were to do another boat, I'd seriously consider cherry for the interior. I couldn't afford teak in the volumes necessary anyway now, and wouldn't feel right about using so much of it. But were I rebuilding a boat that already had a teak interior, I'd look for good plantation stuff, if I could find it.

Best, Bob S/V Restless
bob kingsland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2009, 16:33   #17

Boat: 34’ Marine Trader
This place is only a couple of hours from you. I buy wood there and they are great folks with good quality lumber. They will mill it to your specifications when you buy it.

CWG Hardwood Outlet - Lumber, Plywood, Hardwood Flooring, Millwork, Custom Wood

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 09:21   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
I have to agree with Bob.
Teak makes my work look better...its just so predictable and does exactly what you expect it to do.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 10:03   #19

One more peripheral story:
How good is teak for 'weathering'? When Bob Ballard found the German battleship Bismarck sitting upright on the bottom 16,000 feet down, it was extensively photographed with remote cameras. I remember one photo in his book of the foredeck. Although the big painted swastika was slowly wearing off, the teak deck itself looked to still be in pretty good shape.
Slinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 11:06   #20

South Jersey Lumberman's, Inc.

This is were I get my teak..

good luck

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 12:36   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
My local supplier is very difficult to deal with and his prices are exhorbinent.
Sounds like a teak dealer. This stuff is never cheap. The old growth teak is really nice we have it on the outside of the boat. When you sand it it turns almost fire engine red. That said if you don't bed fittings properly it will rot the screw holes. Teak is not totally impervious to rot if moisture accumulates.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2009, 17:17   #22

From Wikipedia
Iroko is a hardwood from tropical Africa. It is one of the woods sometimes referred to as African Teak, although it is not always suitable as a substitute for teak.
It is yielded mostly (probably) by Milicia excelsa. In much of the literature on this timber the names of the trees that yields it are given as Chlorophora excelsa and Chlorophora regia.
The wood is used for a variety of purposes including boat-building, domestic flooring and furniture. From the late 90s, it was used as part of the txalaparta, a Basque musical instrument constructed of wooden boards, due to its lively sound.
Colour:- Initially yellow but darkens to a richer brown over time.
Advantages:- Similar appearance to teak and less expensive and with the same durability.
Dense interlocked graining and high oil content make it a very durable wood and very suitable for external use. Iroko does not require regular treatment with oil or varnish when used outdoors.
redcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2009, 17:25   #23

I have used Iroko as a substitute for teak and have matched it with teak externally and no one has noticed. I get it from Freestate Timbers in Timonium MD. Ask for Josh.
My understanding is that it is environmentally sound.

ps: Anyone tried using Ipe for boats?
Old 26-03-2009, 07:00   #24

Boat: Beneteau 305
Know any longshoreman? You would be amazed at the kind of wood used as dunnage. Met a longshoreman who did his dining room floor in Teak cut from dunnage. Used to be no problem getting dunnage, but there may be restrictions now, (this was all 15 years ago). Just an idea, wonder if there is any merit in it???
Exocet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2009, 07:52   #25

Just received a note from my wood guy. Iroko is going for $11 a board foot here.