Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2017, 20:14   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28
Re: Source of large Stainless Screws?

It looks like Standard Fasteners stocks 18-8 stainless wood screws up to #18 in flat head slotted. It's probably worth a call.
18-8 Stainless | Standard Fastenings

Another way to do it would be to install threaded inserts for a 5/16 machine screw. The head should be about the same size as a #16 wood screw.
Here is a video showing how to install them.

I think Suncor has them in stainless. I used to stock them at my old store. Don't know if the new owners still do.

However you do it, don't forget to bed it to keep water from working it's way into the fastener hole. Locktite on the thread also.

Just to sound snooty and annoying, I think the correct name for that fitting is a Skene Chock. Usually used as a bow chock.
Old 15-10-2017, 22:48   #17

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

As long as the substrata is dry, & in decent shape, it's easy enough to epoxy bond in place another sized fastener that's "close enough". The more important aspect is that the profile of the fastener's head exactly match up with the holes in the chock, so that the load is properly spread over 100% of the interface area. Otherwise you'll be point loading the fastener's head, possibly causing it to fail at low loads.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2017, 23:28   #18

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

The item in your photo looks like a bronze 'Skene Chock' to me; that being so, why would you use stainless fasteners?
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 07:42   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorbob8599 View Post
The item in your photo looks like a bronze 'Skene Chock' to me; that being so, why would you use stainless fasteners?
That was my first thought too. Expand the photo and it looks like rusty stainless or chrome bronze with failing chrome. I think the OP is going to have to tell us what it's made of.

Is that a crack in the right horn?
Old 16-10-2017, 18:01   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilott View Post
Hi All

Anyone know where I can buy a couple of #16 x 2-1/2" stainless wood screws? I need them to reseat a cleat

thanks

Paul
Try: HR-parts.com they can either sell you the screws or tell you where to get them.
Chris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2017, 19:43   #21

Boat: Hardin, force 50 CC 50'10"

There are several bolt and screw supply houses in your Dallas, Ft. worth area that will have your screw but that looks like bronze and a bronze screw would be right for the job. Amazon will have what you need in SS or bronze. Good luck!
Randy A
ytquest is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew