Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2010, 18:51   #1
Marine Service Provider

Spare Prop

Do you carry one?
Is it really a necessity?...if I'm not planning any long blue water crossings.

Just trying to figure out, where the line in the spare parts kit needs to be drawn.
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 19:03   #2

Boat: Skookum 53'
I don't normally think of that as one of my spares, however if one was to present itself at the right price I might try to find a spot for it. Usually no matter where you go, props. are available. Unless you are planning to plane down a reef with yours, you shouldn't need a spare.
Old 02-11-2010, 19:10   #3

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Among the things that are likely to be damaged, a prop is right there at the top of the list. A grounding, collision with submerged debris or "flotsam" are likely to damage your prop. If you have a skeg in front of your prop, an aperture, or a even keel you have some degree of protection. A Gemini 105 has nothing at all in front of the prop to bump it out of the way.

Bottom line -- the right prop can be hard to find in an emergency. I'd seriously consider it if you're cruising and your budget allows you to carry this type of "insurance". I consider it as important as carrying a spare impeller and fuel filters (unfortunately it's way more expensive).
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 19:13   #4
Marine Service Provider

True, although the entire drive kicks up, which gives a little protection.
Old 02-11-2010, 19:18   #5

Boat: a sailing boat
I think a folding/feathering one is slightly more prone to failure. I have also met at least one boat that lost (!!!) its prop.

Otherwise I think it is only necessary if you are going into the ice floe or rocky / uncharted areas.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 04:52   #6

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
One other expensive spare worth considering is an alternator. You can pick them up pretty cheap on eBay but they're at least 3-5x as expensive if you buy them from a boatyard or a part painted and sold by your engine maker. (In the last 6 years I've had 2 alternator failures.)
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 05:32   #7
CLOD

Boat: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunzster View Post
Do you carry one?
Is it really a necessity?...if I'm not planning any long blue water crossings.

Just trying to figure out, where the line in the spare parts kit needs to be drawn.
I have one because when the last owner installed the feathering prop he kept the orginal. But if space became an issue I would get rid of it. Back-ups are nice to have on the boat, but the back-up to a damaged prop are sails and and a VHF.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:21   #8
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
I have one because when the last owner installed the feathering prop he kept the orginal. But if space became an issue I would get rid of it. Back-ups are nice to have on the boat, but the back-up to a damaged prop are sails and and a VHF.
And an anchor.

Previous owner was a real pack rat. I've been throwing out and selling spares of all kinds of stuff that the boat doesn't even have installed anymore. I actually do have a spare prop and spare alternator.

That's part of the reason I was asking too. Old prop is probably almost due for a re-hubbing, maybe reconditioning. On the other hand, I have a nice shiny new prop. So, if a spare isn't really a necessity, I was wondering if it's even worth paying to get the old one repaired? Or just slap on the new one, and sell the old one, to make a few bucks, and free up some space instead of shelling more money out.
Old 03-11-2010, 13:15   #9

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunzster View Post
And an anchor.

Previous owner was a real pack rat. I've been throwing out and selling spares of all kinds of stuff that the boat doesn't even have installed anymore. I actually do have a spare prop and spare alternator.

That's part of the reason I was asking too. Old prop is probably almost due for a re-hubbing, maybe reconditioning. On the other hand, I have a nice shiny new prop. So, if a spare isn't really a necessity, I was wondering if it's even worth paying to get the old one repaired? Or just slap on the new one, and sell the old one, to make a few bucks, and free up some space instead of shelling more money out.
G'Day Grunzster,

From the sounds of your post, you have an outboard powered boat, and for me, this would change the requirement for a spare prop.

Twice now (during 24 years of cruising) we've had dinghy o/b props fail catastrophically without warning or precipitating incident... just motoring along and the rubber hub starts slipping. Obviously not too common a thing, but if cruising in remote areas, a spare (even a beat-up junker) seems a very good thing to have.

For folks with inboard, shaft drive boats, sudden failures are less common. In areas with lots of floating logs, etc, the odds get worse of course, Also, replacing the prop is more of a chore, requiring a slipping or some underwater work rather than just tipping up the o/b.

Saildrives also seem a bit more prone to prop failure, especially those with aluminum props. Their configuration offers very little protection from contact with debris.

So, it seems that ones specific circumstances dictate the advisability of carrying a spare.. like so many things in cruising!

Cheers,

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II lying Port Curtis, Qld, Oz
Old 03-11-2010, 13:49   #10
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
found one in my forepeak when i took this boat over--lol--i wont make it swim .. is all good. i hadnt thought about a spare--but the previous owner must have....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 17:20   #11
Marine Service Provider

Actually it's an I/O, and the drive kicks up if it hits anything. So major damage to the prop isn't too likely.