Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2015, 23:12   #1

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48
Spectra Watermaker Start Up Procedures

Even though the owner's manual that came with my Spectra Watermaker doesn't say so, I always open the pressure relief valve prior to starting my watermaker.

My question is, should I open the p/r valve when I go to flush the watermaker as well? I'm aware that the pressure is lower during the flushing process but is it low enough that opening the p/r valve isn't required?

I'll try to make this my last post about watermakers. Thanks for everyone's input.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2015, 02:10   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Re: Spectra Watermaker Start Up Procedures

The manual only wants the pressure relief valve open during the pickling process and other specific events, so I don't open the pressure relief valve at any times except when specified. With the valve open the flow inside the membrane is different so that the flush process might not be effective (enough) to clear out any residue and brine. Spectra customer support has always responded to my requests, although it might have taken several days, so you might be best served by asking them directly [and posting the response here so that the rest of us can benefit as well].
Old 14-11-2015, 04:40   #3
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Re: Spectra Watermaker Start Up Procedures

The reason you don't see this in their manual is because it is not required to open the pressure relief valve to flush your system. The only time you need to open the pressure relief valve is during the pickling process and during re-commissioning a pickled system. (including initial start up of a new unit).
Just leave your pressure relief valve closed during all other operations. Our automated systems flush themselves after each use and every 120 hours and this is all done with the pressure relief valve closed. If you have a manual system there is no difference, just keep the pressure relief valve closed and you'll be fine.

Halden Marine Services | Marine Watermakers, Solar Panels, Wind Generators
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, watermaker