Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2020, 15:51   #1

Spray foam insulation

I find many YouTube videos of two part spray foam in camper vans but nothing for boats.

Does anyone have expiernce with this type of product.

Bonus question: rattle can foam to insulate cabin ceiling?

Orion NCC 2510. A C&C 41 on the hard in Victoria, BC
mtmattking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2020, 16:00   #2

Re: Spray foam insulation

It’s very common

Overhead and inside of hull

Never close to the waterline

I can’t tell you the technical grade of foam ask your supplier
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2020, 16:51   #3

Boat: Island Packet 40

My old steel boat was done internally everywhere above the water line. The job was carried out by a company which mainly spray foamed mobile and walk in freezers and refrigerators.

After I trimmed it back I sprayed it with water based house paint to reseal it and present a smoother, lighter coloured surface.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2020, 16:59   #4

Location: In boat fixing' season I'm in a Maryland boat yard too close to Washington, DC ... except when I escape to home on the beach in Florida!
Boat: Prout Snowgoose 34

Be sure that the foam you buy is waterproof, not just water resistant. Even above the waterline, the foam will pick up moisture from condensation.

I discovered
svtrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2020, 17:31   #5

Location: In boat fixing' season I'm in a Maryland boat yard too close to Washington, DC ... except when I escape to home on the beach in Florida!
Boat: Prout Snowgoose 34

Be sure that the foam you buy is waterproof, not just water resistant. Even above the waterline, the non closed cell foam will pick up moisture from condensation, humidity. It will be a mess to remove from enclosed locations, but the resulting mold/fungus will leave you no other choice.

Evercoat Marine ( defender, Jamestown, west Marine) makes a two-part closed -cell foam that is mixed and poured and I believe it is claimed to be waterproof. This might be challenging for your application.

The company also makes a spray can foam, but I believe it is only water resistant.

The Home Depot, Lowe’s, spray foam in building departments is closed cell but not waterproof last time I tracked them
down.

I learned all this the hard way.

High quality two-part waterproof foam from a rudder manufacturer was much too expensive.

I finally settled on blue board and pink board panels for my applications and that has been satisfactory (and much less expensive). Some locations were installed more than 20 years ago (and below the waterline).

Evercoat Marine, part of Illinois Tool Works, Cincinnati, OH. Tel: 513-489-7600.

Call and track down a tech guy who should be able to help you get accurate information.
svtrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2020, 03:21   #6

Boat: 42' Colvin Gazelle

Sprayed in foam is great if done right. Just like with painting, surface preparation is important for good results. I have used fire retardant Tiger Foam in my boat with excellent results. Be prepared for a big job as it is messy work to apply and trim this material!

https://tigerfoam.com/sprayfoaminsul...ray-foam-kits/
Sailormantx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insulation