Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2021, 15:13   #16
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Re: spray in foam deck repair

https://youtu.be/WWQRZpah_0M
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2021, 16:17   #17

Boat: Columbia 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manateeman View Post
Not enough info here. Pictures please. Above advice correct.
What is extent of wet core. How tested.
M.
Except the 5200. Use epoxy.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2021, 20:14   #18

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

You had the right idea. Open the deck, remove the rotten balsa, dry out, then mix slow cure epoxy with cotton fibre glue powder and butter the inside remaining glass layer. then bend your matched foam insert and work it into the void on top of the glue driving out any air pockets, until the foam lies flat. Wobble it about to get it as level as possible. Use planks and pieces of foam across good deck to hold it down until an initial set takes place. Then having ground back the edges of the cleared area, begin to replace the layers of deck fibreglass one layer at a time consolidating the glass and resin as one goes, finally using peel-ply to get a paintable finish.

I would NOT be using builders filler foam.

You CAN however make your OWN cellular epoxy putty which you can push into a tight space if it is clean and dry--it works well, gas to be done in stages because any exotherm has an effect, but that is another story. It works and works well--but for larger areas is not the best option.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2021, 18:21   #19

Boat: Morgan, OI, 33'

I had leaks at the stantion bases & found that a previous repair (not by me) had bedded the stantion base thoroughly so that the grooves on the underside of the base was blocked. Water ran down the stantion & pooled inside the base eventually following the bolts & dripping inside (as well as soaking the core). My fix was to over drill the holes, tape the lower/inner skin holes, apply thin epoxy with a Q-tip, then fill with thickened epoxy. To assure alignment I drilled one bolt sized hole, set the base with one bolt in place & then mark with a drill bit the other two. I used a countersink to form an inverted cone shaped hole & applied butyl tape to the under side of the base with the bolts inserted into the base. When tightened the butyl is formed into an "O" ring & the drain grooves are left clear. Absolutely water tight all season.
Disailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck