Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2019, 03:04   #16

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig
Re: SS Anti Galling lubricant

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
Thanks for that but both damned expensive. I was hoping someone will say "just use XXX that's as good as anything".
Lanocote is just a US brand of anhydrous lanolin.

Australia and NZ, because of their sheep flocks, are a good source of lanolin.

Bob Foresman, the US orthodontist who established the US firm Forespar, discovered anhydrous lanolin in NZ. And sold the NZ lanolin as Lanocote.

Australians obviously do not have to buy NZ anhydrous lanolin imported from the US (although a marine supply store and several other intermediaries might be happy for you to so do).

You can buy anhydrous lanolin in Aus and NZ under the Lanotec brand. A one litre tub would cost less that $A40 depending on where you buy it. A half litre tub less than $A23.

See one retailers' offering at: https://www.whitworths.com.au/search...cturer:Lanotec
Old 10-03-2019, 04:23   #17

Boat: Valiant 42

The best way to avoid SS galling is to not mate two SS threaded parts. Bronze and SS in combination is very difficult to gall up. A thru-hull would be better to have SS for one part (tube) and bronze for the other (threaded ring). Or better yet, the whole thing could be bronze. Much better than SS IMO.

Lanocote is good as it works under water.

A final note, galling of a thru-hull is unlikely because of the large diameter and the fact that it is a one time connection. Galling usually happens after mating/unmating a few times.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 04:24   #18

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

According to the British Stainless Steel Association Telflon™️ type coatings are the best protection for anti galling in stainless steel.

Lubrication
Lubrication is often applied to stainless steel fasteners as a method of preventing galling and seizure. This can take several forms, depending on service conditions, from the application of oils and greases to solid lubrication systems such as thermosetting or PTFE coatings. Work carried out at the Corus (British Steel) Technology Centre (see References) shows that PTFE provides the best galling resistant system, when compared with greases.

https://www.bssa.org.uk/topics.php?article=13

Some PTFE type product are listed here

https://www.google.com.au/search?tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=_PCEXIziPNHdz7sP8sqskAI&q= teflon+anti+galling+stainless+steel&oq=teflon+anti +galling+stainless+steel&gs_l=img.12...0.0..111700 1...0.0..0.0.0.......1......gws-wiz-img.uJujEcg4SQY

Maybe Teflon tape is the way to go?
https://mainlandvalve.com/store/inde...oducts_id=1256

https://www.google.com.au/search?tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=_PCEXIziPNHdz7sP8sqskAI&q= %20teflon+anti+galling+stainless+steel&oq=teflon+a nti%20+galling+stainless+steel&gs_l=img.12...0.0.. 111700%201...0.0..0.0.0.......1......gws-wiz-img.uJujEcg4SQY

coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 04:27   #19

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Quote:
I am about to install some SS through-hull fittings but I am hesitating because I can't find my Permatec(?) so I'll have to buy some more and everything I look at is so hideously expensive.

Can anyone reccomend a good product?
Have had a lot of experience with SS, and when assembling threaded parts there are two things needed. Cleanliness and some kind, any kind, of lubricant.

If you're installing underwater thruhulls, after drilling the hole, make sure that there is no dust (if fiberglass) or metal filings present to get in the threads and gall things up. Clean the fittings to ensure that there is nothing on either the nut or the fitting.

Whatever sealant you use to seal the fitting to the hull should be sufficient to lubricate the fitting and avoid galling. Coat the threads liberally before insertion, and make sure no foreign material is picked up when inserting them. Do not overtorque stainless.

In extreme situations I've actually used a two step process on some assemblies, where a sealant is put on one section of the assembly and a never seize is used on another section, but for your application this is probably not necessary.
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 15:25   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Any kind of grease works, get a can of axle grease and your good for life.
Anti-seize works better, cause that is what galling is, seizure.
Tef-Gel seems to work best, it’s not cheap, but a small tub and your good for life.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 15:54   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Any kind of grease works, get a can of axle grease and your good for life.
Anti-seize works better, cause that is what galling is, seizure.
Tef-Gel seems to work best, it’s not cheap, but a small tub and your good for life.
Thanks for that.

Your comments are broadly in line with Thinwater's who was involved in a scientific study.

"Locktite Marine, Tefgel, and Green Grease have done well. Lanolin and other greases, so-so".

Cost is only a factor as I don't like being ripped off. Salespeople at the hardware chain have recommended a product but when I've pointed out it is for a boat they've said it is the same product as the "marine" version but I'll pay double the price if I want that.

(A small tub won't go far initially as the yacht has yet to be rigged)
Old 10-03-2019, 17:55   #22

Boat: C&C

I've been in the trades for over 40 years and never came across Tef-Gel till I bought my boat in Florida. I've used tons of lubricants, pipefitting over the years on lots of SS around paper machines, acid plants and what have you. I was always a Never [Anti] Seize guy, however, nothing has ever come close to Tef-Gel, especially around salt water! Pay the price and you'll be glad you did instead of cheaping out!
wannacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 18:05   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:

(A small tub won't go far initially as the yacht has yet to be rigged)

It will go a lot further than you may think, cause you don’t need to slather it on, “a little dab will do ya”
Seriously well less than a drop per screw, size of a BB is all it takes
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 18:18   #24

When instaling 3/8 &1/2 inch nuts and bolts, I used bees wax and had no problems.
Billnpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 18:39   #25

Any type of lubricant. Simple. Grease good. teff gel good. silver antiseize......good.

I'll say it slowly.....a n y t y p e o f l u b r i c a n t w i l l d o f i n e

LOL. I crack me up.
Allied39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 19:06   #26

Someone suggested blue loctite in an earlier thread......... I often use this rather than never seize compounds. It's intended to keep things from coming loose, rather than keeping them from freezing, so it's use for this is a bit counter intuitive. It works as an anti seize because it seals the moisture out, hardening into a plastic like state. It both prevents bolts from loosening, making them take more torque to break loose, and at the same time prevents electrolysis in my experience.

H.W.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 22:04   #27

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
It works as an anti seize because it seals the moisture out, hardening into a plastic like state. It both prevents bolts from loosening, making them take more torque to break loose, and at the same time prevents electrolysis in my experience.
Loctite may help in preventing corrosion after assembly, but it is not a lubricant which willl prevent galling... something that happens whilst assembling, not afterward.

Jim
Old 10-03-2019, 23:12   #28

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc

We install solar systems and we like to drop all the attachment hardware in a bucket and already with Permatex[emoji768] Anti-Seize Lubricant. It prevents galling and corrosion.
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 02:21   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Galling:
https://www.fastenal.com/en/72/galling

https://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-i...d-galling.aspx

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 02:45   #30

Thanks Gord

Fastenal has found
"There are some outstanding PTFE-based coatings that can be applied to stainless steel fasteners. They are able to drastically reduce the frictional coefficient. Fastenal has performed extensive research and testing and found a number of coatings that significantly reduce the galling potential."

This was also the conclusion of British Steel

"Work carried out at the Corus (British Steel) Technology Centre (see References) shows that PTFE provides the best galling resistant system, when compared with greases"