Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 15:19   #1
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Stainless cracking. Metalurgists, puzzel this one

Most of the bolts I see with damamge are pitted somewhere inside the hull, a distance from both the head and the nut:

[Vyv Cox]

But on Farrier trimarans, a not uncommon failure is for the heads of the bolts holding the lower folding struts to fail right under the head. There are 4-6 bolts in shear, through an anodized aluminum plate about 3/8-inch thick (varies with the model). There is only a split lock nut between the bolt head and the flange. These bolts support the full heeling load of the boat. The plates and struts are conservatively engineered and never fail and the bolts never bend or get loose. The heads fall off. And typically only one will just fail. The others hold without distortion. But typically when they are pulled for replacement, most show serious damamge. The anodized aluminum flange is typically undamaged.

Why would the damamge be right under the bolt heads instead of farther in? Does the anodized aluminum have something to do with this (it seem it must)?

[This strut is in tension. I'd have to run some numbers, but the max working load is probably 3-4 tons spread over 16 bolts (2 on each side of 4 plates).]

Old Today, 15:49   #2

Boat: Tartan 3800
Re: Stainless cracking. Metalurgists, puzzel this one

Split lock provides a crack to admit water. 5200 or whatever sealant they use is good enough to preclude migration of the water further down the shoulder of the bolt. Simple answer

I am not a metallurgist however and maybe that's not it.

I no longer use split locks for much of anything. They're awful in so many ways. In that application I doubt if they had any effect at all since the sealant would have a much higher breakaway torque than the lockwasher.
Old Today, 16:12   #3

I'm with Jammer, probably the split washer. Do the hinge bolts ever fail in the same manner? Looks like the installation is slightly different.

Do you have enough data to correlate the direction of the split in the washer on the bolts that failed? For instance, if the split is on the high side, does it introduce a place for salt water to get to the head, and get trapped, and deplete oxygen, and start crevice corrosion? While if the split is on the low side it allows water to drain, and those bolts are the ones that do not fail?
PippaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 17:20   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Split lock provides a crack to admit water. 5200 or whatever sealant they use is good enough to preclude migration of the water further down the shoulder of the bolt. Simple answer

I am not a metallurgist however and maybe that's not it.

I no longer use split locks for much of anything. They're awful in so many ways. In that application I doubt if they had any effect at all since the sealant would have a much higher breakaway torque than the lockwasher.

Correction. I looked at my boat and they are SAE bolting washers. You would never put a lockwasher under a bolt head. No purpose.
Old Today, 17:26   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippaB View Post
I'm with Jammer, probably the split washer. Do the hinge bolts ever fail in the same manner? Looks like the installation is slightly different.

Do you have enough data to correlate the direction of the split in the washer on the bolts that failed? For instance, if the split is on the high side, does it introduce a place for salt water to get to the head, and get trapped, and deplete oxygen, and start crevice corrosion? While if the split is on the low side it allows water to drain, and those bolts are the ones that do not fail?
The hinge bolts never fail and are never corroded or damaged. Never heard of a case.

No split washer. My bad, please read correction. But more likely if there was free flow of water and oxygen that would actually be better. Pretty sure. Consider the hinge pins. Heck, the tiny circlips on the pins hold up as well as the bolts. Fortunately, they are loads easier to replace; 15 seconds and you carry spares.

All of the failures are as shown, right up under the bolt heads.

I'm puzzled by the location more than the failure due to cracking.

---

Could a more noble 316 washer next to a less noble (stronger alloy) bolt be a problem?
Old Today, 19:05   #6
dlj

Boat: Belliure 41

Thinwater,

How far south of Annapolis are you? I'd love to come look at your broken bolts. I'll be back down to my boat in a week or two.

If you'd like, send me a PM.

dj
dlj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 19:15   #7
dlj

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Could a more noble 316 washer next to a less noble (stronger alloy) bolt be a problem?
What alloy are the bolts made from? Do you still have the washers that were next to each broken head? didn't see them in the photos.

dj
Old Today, 21:23   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlj View Post
What alloy are the bolts made from? Do you still have the washers that were next to each broken head? didn't see them in the photos.

dj

Not my boat. But I just asked those questions.
Old Today, 22:03   #9
dlj

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Not my boat. But I just asked those questions.
The answer would depend upon alloys used. Do you have the bolts? The photos are such it's not possible to give any kind of answer other than a WAG (Wild A$$ Guess). Something the internet is exceptionally prolific at...

dj