Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2016, 06:27   #16

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Re: Stainless Steel Cleaner

A guy at a boat yard saw me going at my swim platform supports with never-dull and bar keepers friend. He insisted I try "The Works" toilet bowl cleaner. When I didn't sound convinced, he lent me his bottle.

Wow. I couldn't believe how much easier that made the job go. I bought my own bottle (under $4) as soon as I got home.

I haven't tried it on anything else yet, but I'm keeping in stock!
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 06:54   #17

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelandken View Post
Ran a search, but can't seem to find any suggestions or recommendations on what to use and/or how to clean rust from SS.
Can you help?
Thanks
We have been using (click on) "Spotless Stainless" for several years and find it very effective but easy to use.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 07:28   #18

Boat: 1968 Ohlson 38 Sloop
Send a message via Yahoo to phantomracer

Have tried most polishes (including miracle cloth,prism etc) and all do work well.

The past couple years, been using Spotless Stainless (mentioned above). I got to say, it actually works better, gets in the crevices like welds, and hard to reach areas far better... and keeps rust from coming back for a lot longer than any wax based polish.

Only downside is it still seems to evaporate too fast, so i cover it with plastic wrap after applying (usually with a chip brush).. then rinse after suggested time (I usually leave it on longer , sometimes overnight
phantomracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 08:15   #19

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomracer View Post
Have tried most polishes (including miracle cloth,prism etc) and all do work well.

The past couple years, been using Spotless Stainless (mentioned above). I got to say, it actually works better, gets in the crevices like welds, and hard to reach areas far better... and keeps rust from coming back for a lot longer than any wax based polish.

Only downside is it still seems to evaporate too fast, so i cover it with plastic wrap after applying (usually with a chip brush).. then rinse after suggested time (I usually leave it on longer , sometimes overnight
I started a thread on this several years ago and of all the suggestions I received "the works" toilet bowl cleaner was far and away the best. I spent a lot of money for the spotless stainless product but found the toilet bowl cleaner worked every bit as well and just as easy to use for about $2.88 a quart vs about $32.00 a quart.

Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 08:30   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by captjcook View Post
Bar Keepers Friend...(next to Ajax & Comet at grocery) is excellent for some things.

Cleaning Detail, a Mary-Kate product. I use this on stancions etc. also good for stains/rust on gelcoat.

Both have oxalic acid...

Good Luck!

And VERY INEXPENSIVE!
crabcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 08:51   #21

Boat: 1968 Ohlson 38 Sloop
Send a message via Yahoo to phantomracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwork orange View Post
I started a thread on this several years ago and of all the suggestions I received "the works" toilet bowl cleaner was far and away the best. I spent a lot of money for the spotless stainless product but found the toilet bowl cleaner worked every bit as well and just as easy to use for about $2.88 a quart vs about $32.00 a quart.

Steve.
How well does it work at keeping rust from coming back? SS seems to leave some sort of coating (Chromium Oxide) on the stainless and keep rust from coming back. If The Works cleans but doesn't prevent re-rusting like SS does, might not be that much of a bargain, to me. I was very impressed how well SS prevented re-rusting

Considering one bottle lasts me about 2-3 years, the cost isn't a big factor, but I get the point. I think i will try The Works as well. Maybe half the boat with SS and half with the works.. Any problem with the toilet bowl cleaner affecting teak, fiberglass, awlgrip?
phantomracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 11:24   #22

Quote:
How well does it work at keeping rust from coming back? SS seems to leave some sort of coating (Chromium Oxide) on the stainless and keep rust from coming back. If The Works cleans but doesn't prevent re-rusting like SS does, might not be that much of a bargain, to me. I was very impressed how well SS prevented re-rusting

Considering one bottle lasts me about 2-3 years, the cost isn't a big factor, but I get the point. I think i will try The Works as well. Maybe half the boat with SS and half with the works.. Any problem with the toilet bowl cleaner affecting teak, fiberglass, awlgrip?
I'm in the great lakes so I can't comment on the re rusting and I also don't know how it affects other materials as I did my turnbuckles etc off the boat. My boat came from salt water and a lot of the ss parts had the typical stains, not really rust and the works did a great job of cleaning them up as did the spotless stainless, I think the works worked a little quicker with the same result. Maybe you could give it a try and see how it works in a salt water environment. The guy who suggested it to me had a boat detailing business and that's what he used but I don't remember where he was located so good point re re rusting.
Old 06-12-2016, 11:50   #23

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
How well does it work at keeping rust from coming back? SS seems to leave some sort of coating (Chromium Oxide) on the stainless and keep rust from coming back.

Any problem with the toilet bowl cleaner affecting teak, fiberglass, awlgrip?
My understanding is that stainless needs contact with oxygen to keep from rusting. Anything that cleans thoroughly should do that. Anything that leaves a coating would presumably be suspect. The Works didn't seem to leave any residue.

I didn't have any problems with getting it on other materials (fiberglass, bronze exhaust, even bottom paint) but I was careful to wash it off immediately, as the yard guy who suggested it told me. I also assume you'd need to re-wax if you got it on any waxed surfaces.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who's ever heard this advice. It really did seem to work better than anything I'd ever tried before.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 12:37   #24

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

What do we use for things inside the boat? I.e. I need to remove rust stains from the stainless stove.

I did a quick tally and there are 15 products/chemicals recommended.

Anything on the list that really cleans rust - not only polishes and that rinsing is not required?

1. Nevr-Dull
2. Bar Keepers Friend
3. Oxalic Acid
4. Grunt
5. Wichinox
6. Flitz
7. Miracle Cloth
8. Phosphoric acid
9. Ospho
10. Citric acid
11. Cleaning Detail
12. Soft Scrub
13. The Works
14. Spotless Stainless
15. Prims Polish
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 13:46   #25

Boat: Camano Troll

Flitz is great but expensive The "wadding" dries up in the can.

For most stainless steel (rails, etc.) polishing I use metal polish from the auto parts store. Turtle Wax, Mothers, etc.

For places where that doesn't work like the heads of Phillips screws, threaded adjusters, et, I use Spotless Stainless.

I don't use toilet bowl cleaner or abrasives on my boat.
Old 06-12-2016, 13:55   #26

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

We use Collinite 920 for all things BOAT.

Including cleaning all the SS.

It work for so much more than most boaters even know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Collinite 920.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	137584  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 14:11   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
We have been using (click on) "Spotless Stainless" for several years and find it very effective but easy to use.

FWIW...
^^^^^^^ Surprised it took that long to come up.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 14:13   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Flitz is great but expensive The "wadding" dries up in the can.
The wadding is with Never Dull. Flitz comes in a tube.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 15:24   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
What do we use for things inside the boat? I.e. I need to remove rust stains from the stainless stove.

I did a quick tally and there are 15 products/chemicals recommended.

Anything on the list that really cleans rust - not only polishes and that rinsing is not required?

1. Nevr-Dull
2. Bar Keepers Friend
3. Oxalic Acid
4. Grunt
5. Wichinox
6. Flitz
7. Miracle Cloth
8. Phosphoric acid
9. Ospho
10. Citric acid
11. Cleaning Detail
12. Soft Scrub
13. The Works
14. Spotless Stainless
15. Prims Polish
spotless stainless is citric acid based, I just read the label of the works and it is not clear which acid it is based on as all it lists are 9.5% hydrogen chloride and 90.5% other ingredients.
Old 06-12-2016, 17:57   #30
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

The works has muriatic acid, barkeepers friend has oxalicing acid, wichinox has phosphoric acid, spotless stainless has citric acid. There is something called pickling paste that has nitric acid but is dangerous. Polishing and passivation are the only ways to "prevent" rust but a lot of stainles surfaces are to far gone. Passivation can be accomplished using citric acid. You can buy citric acid powder cheap on E-bay and make a home brew but it won't remove existing rust as fast as phosphoric acid. Industrially, passivation is accomplished with nitric acid or citric acid. On new boats people usually wax all of the stainless (collinite etc.). Stainless doesn't like heat. This is a huge topic (stainless steel corrosion) but we are just talking about your stove here. If you go for the toilet bowl cleaner you could use it in your head too and it would keep the scale down in your plumbing.
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steel