Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2019, 07:30   #61

Re: Stainless Steel Yacht ?

Already mentioned, but I will summarize...

Stainless steel needs exposure to oxygen, or it is very little more "stainless" than carbon steel. Stainless steel is more brittle, and more subject to work hardening, than carbon steel. Both of these characteristics make it less than optimal for a boat hull, and certainly not worth the additional cost. This is why you do not see it commonly used.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 15:53   #62

Boat: Hoek Truly Classic 79ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrainstuff View Post
Is this ss boat actually being built?
Yes it is being built.
Please see the above posts with link to web site showing progress.
Tanielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 16:02   #63

Boat: Hoek Truly Classic 79ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Already mentioned, but I will summarize...

Stainless steel needs exposure to oxygen, or it is very little more "stainless" than carbon steel. Stainless steel is more brittle, and more subject to work hardening, than carbon steel. Both of these characteristics make it less than optimal for a boat hull, and certainly not worth the additional cost. This is why you do not see it commonly used.
While your comments may apply to 316 stainless steel which is unsuitable for use underwater, it does not apply to duplex stainless which was approved by Lloyds for Tanielle`s hulletc.
Also duplex is not brittle and has far higher fatigue strength (resistance to work hardening), than mild steel.
While the addional cost over mild steel is substantial, it is in fact regained the first time the mild steel hull has the entire interior stripped and repainted. This is why mild steel yachts do not hold a high resale value.
Tanielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 18:56   #64

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrainstuff View Post
Stainless is definitely not the ideal material to build a yacht from. We probably also need to qualify what stainless? 300, 400, duplex, etc.

In terms of metals Titanium would be my preference for an 'ideal' metal for a boat.

But in reality I'll stick with composites...
Commercial and military air craft use to be built with a lot of titanium, but now they have switched to graphite composites. It’s just as light and almost as strong as titanium but a bullet will not distort it, if penetrated.

Back in 1981 I was building dies to make graphite parts for the F4 jets. We also use to take a 1-1/2’ square of solid titanium and cavity mill it out for wing struts. Very expensive and a major waste of material.
Old 09-07-2019, 20:19   #65

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanielle View Post
Yes it is being built.
Please see the above posts with link to web site showing progress.
Beautiful boat the only two things your vessel and mine have in common is 1) they are sailboats 2) we both use Hurricane hydronic heating

I use it because they are built 10km from here.....
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yacht