Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2020, 15:33   #1

Boat: Nordic 40
Stanchions / Bow Rail Fix ?

Hello, my 40 ft sailboat was smashed into in a hurricane. The large bow rail is bent over towards the port side now, and all of the stanchions are either bent way over or broken on my starboard side. Specifically, the gate stanchions are completely broken. If these things happened to you, how would you go about fixing / replacing? Where would you order them from? Is it possible to find the same stanchions through a search somewhere? There is a marine warehouse nearby but all of the stanchions are different than mine. Would you consider welding the bow rail and/or stanchions back into shape ? I mostly would like to find the exact gate stanchions. This is not a common production boat, it's an old Nordic. Many thanks in advance for any help / advice !
SV Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 17:15   #2

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46
Stanchions / Bow Rail Fix ?

Who is installing them? Do they have contacts?
Where are you located and who are the local marine welding shops, what is their reputation and lead time?
I needed pulpit and pushpit repair and a few new stanchions. One of a kind boat.
With photos and copies of plans my yard in New England sent a stanchion sample and pics and measurements and template to a shop in Michigan they have a relationship with.
The stern pulpit needed a major repair and the local shop (who does fantastic work but is often late) looked and did a from new instead because that was better.
The end results were darn good.

Work with local shops and yards and people you know if you can.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 18:21   #3

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: Stanchions / Bow Rail Fix ?

If they're bent with "dimples", you will need a new pulpit and stanchions. We managed to have a SS fabricator bend our pulpit back in line and reinforce the possibly weakened sections after an "unfortunate encounter", but it depends how bad the encounter was. Previously, we were able to find SS tubing at a scrapyard that allowed us to replace our stanchions (which it appeared the previous owners had used for bumper-boats) at something like $2.50 per pound. Pulpits, with their curves and welds, are a bit trickier.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote