Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2006, 01:56   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Standards Harmonization

ABYC, ICOMIA & NMMA Move Forward on A Global Marine Standards Harmonization Initiative

”During a recent meeting held at the Marine Equipment Trade Show (METS) a significant move forward towards the harmonization and co-recognition of the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) and ABYC standards was made... “
DETAILS: http://www.abycinc.org/news/pr113006.cfm

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 17:34   #2
Kai Nui

It looks like a boilerplate meeting agenda. Hope it happens, but I can see the manufacturers screaming patent issues already. ("My patent says a 3 degree taper! What do you mean I have to make it 5 degrees?")
Old 05-12-2006, 18:42   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
This is going to be a long road to perhaps good ends. Merger isn't always the political victory that may be required.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 20:30   #4

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Nui
It looks like a boilerplate meeting agenda. Hope it happens, but I can see the manufacturers screaming patent issues already. ("My patent says a 3 degree taper! What do you mean I have to make it 5 degrees?")
And what about metric vs english. The marine suppliers are going to go nuts with that.

Quote:
May I buy 3.76 liters of botton paint
Sounds like fun already
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 21:28   #5
Kai Nui

We tried to go metric, and that didn't work, so I guess the rest of the world will have to conform to our system of measure
Old 06-12-2006, 03:32   #6
Moderator Emeritus

The marine industry never has wanted real standards. They like charting their own course more often than not. The trend in recent times is the companies are contracting into fewer corporations owning more smaller companies.
Old 06-12-2006, 04:11   #7

I think a common standard will increase quality of the finished product. The lack of common standards now shows in many aspects of fit, finish and support.
A common standard should not be interpreted to be the be all, end all of quality. I would like to see boat builders agree to a minimum and many strive to surpass the minimum. I know I'm deaming, but we can try.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 04:35   #8

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Had all sorts of grief in the '80s working in a yard building a multi million dollar 105 ft yacht for a client as it was an American design.

Australia had the metric system introduced in the '60s, so most of us youngies had and still don"t know what 5/16 or 17/64 or any of those weird measurements mean.

Strange as i'm still building a 50' boat.

Dave
Old 06-12-2006, 04:44   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The lack of common standards now shows in many aspects of fit, finish and support.
I don't see those as the standards they have in mind. I actually don't see "quality standards" even on the agenda. There may be some merger of some of the technical standards and sharing in technical engeering. In the end the vendors themselves pay for the standards development. They pay all the money to support the standards organization and of course they control it to some degree. Unless most of the vendors want something it won't happen. It always starts as the "least that they all can agree on" and slowly works from there. This merger is all about the money it costs to fund and sustain the standards organization.

Any substantial changes to what we see out on the water are a long way ahead. It's not like AYBC was doing that poor a job of it. It might be nice to envision a standards group that acts like the IEEE but I don't think that is in the future for the marine industry.