Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2022, 20:30   #1

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Starboard question

My person 365 has/had a steel mast step/base.
I'm going to have to deal with it at some point in the near future. I was originally going to use G-10 (epoxy/glass). I'm wondering if Starboard might be a "friendlier" alternative.

Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2844.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	443.5 KB
ID:	252846  
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 21:00   #2

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat
Re: Starboard question

No. Starboard will cold flow with long term compression. A really bad material for a mast base.

Matt
Old 12-02-2022, 21:59   #3

Thanx Matt...Back to my G-10 idea
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 13-02-2022, 04:54   #4

Wow, Celestial!

That's certainly some picture.

Glad you've already done refits a buncha times. What does the bottom of the mast look like? Are you going to have to cut some off?

LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2022, 07:19   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Wow, Celestial!

That's certainly some picture.

Glad you've already done refits a buncha times. What does the bottom of the mast look like? Are you going to have to cut some off?

LittleWing77

Well that's the question of the day. The perimeter of the outside of the mast, at the base, looks in good shape. However, what is going on inside the mast may be a different story. I have read, in some cases, as much as 2"s had to be cut off. On my Tartan Blackwatch 37 I had a similar situation where the mast base sat on an aluminum 1/4" base and was occasionally subjected to salt water. I had to cut about a 1/2" off that one. But the turnbuckles took up the difference. On this one, I will cut off what is necessary and build it back up with G-10 and fabricate a split shoe out of G-10 to hold everything in place. I will also coat the inside of the mast, at the base, with Strontium Chromate and then a few coats of high build primer.

Yanking a mast and storing for a month at a yard is not that much. I also have a full on Machine Shop on the ranch to do this sort of thing. I'll replace all the upper standing rigging (4 wires) while I'm at it. Life is good!
Old 13-02-2022, 07:53   #6

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

Do you have a drawing or can you sketch out the construction of the structure of the mast base.
Seems like a lot of rust.
We’ve built pedestals? not sure what to call them...which lift the mast heel out of the bilge water but welded them in aluminum.
Mark
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2022, 08:21   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Well that's the question of the day. The perimeter of the outside of the mast, at the base, looks in good shape. However, what is going on inside the mast may be a different story. I have read, in some cases, as much as 2"s had to be cut off. On my Tartan Blackwatch 37 I had a similar situation where the mast base sat on an aluminum 1/4" base and was occasionally subjected to salt water. I had to cut about a 1/2" off that one. But the turnbuckles took up the difference. On this one, I will cut off what is necessary and build it back up with G-10 and fabricate a split shoe out of G-10 to hold everything in place. I will also coat the inside of the mast, at the base, with Strontium Chromate and then a few coats of high build primer.

Yanking a mast and storing for a month at a yard is not that much. I also have a full on Machine Shop on the ranch to do this sort of thing. I'll replace all the upper standing rigging (4 wires) while I'm at it.

Life is good!
Well you sound as happy as a pig in the proverbial.

As I'd expect...!
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2022, 08:31   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Exact same problem on my P422. Couldn't see it until I pulled the mast but found a little over 2" of the bottom of the mast like Swiss cheese. Cut off 3" and rebuilt a 3" higher mast step.

I used UHDPE for the buildup. Put a thin piece of 6012 Al sheet on top for the mast to sit on. Six years a few thousand miles and no problems.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220213_112802.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	414.5 KB
ID:	252872  
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2022, 09:33   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manateeman View Post
Do you have a drawing or can you sketch out the construction of the structure of the mast base.
Seems like a lot of rust.
We’ve built pedestals? not sure what to call them...which lift the mast heel out of the bilge water but welded them in aluminum.
Mark

Basically the same thing. I imagine that I'll probably cut off up to 1" off the mast bottom with my clamp on miter box that I used on the Tartan. Then I'll bolt down a piece of 1" G-10 with a drainage groove. Then take another piece of 1" G-10 and make the split shoe.

Here is one made out of aluminum. A little elaborate but close to the idea.

I've machined a ton of G-10 and it requires Carbide tooling to machine it, which I have.
Thanx for the input.
Old 13-02-2022, 09:36   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Exact same problem on my P422. Couldn't see it until I pulled the mast but found a little over 2" of the bottom of the mast like Swiss cheese. Cut off 3" and rebuilt a 3" higher mast step.

I used UHDPE for the buildup. Put a thin piece of 6012 Al sheet on top for the mast to sit on. Six years a few thousand miles and no problems.

Ya...I guess you just deal with what you're given.
Old 13-02-2022, 09:56   #11

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

You shouldn't need G10. Standard FRP or GPO3 would be fine with the compression loads you'll see. They are both cheaper and easier to cut.
Old 13-02-2022, 10:04   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Johnson View Post
You shouldn't need G10. Standard FRP or GPO3 would be fine with the compression loads you'll see. They are both cheaper and easier to cut.

Hi Matt...You know...being a Toolmaker and Field Engineer for 40+ years, you'd think I would know the terms like GP03. But in my ignorance I've called all of it G-10. You are absolutely correct and I will go down that road. Thanks for the input.