Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2022, 14:33   #46

Re: Steel sailboat cabin extension

The boat is 9 meters and the mast is 8. I have about 30 sqm of sail on it, the sail is quite squared and like 6 meters long at the boom. Its an experiment. If it doesnt work, i will check the scrapyard for alu poles. They have at times.
Caminantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2022, 09:33   #47

Re: Steel sailboat cabin extension

Hi, i just wanted to give a little update on the whereabouts with the boats modifications.

The cabin was finally extended to the sides (the side decks are now a continuum of the cabin top) and to the back.

The space belowdecks increased considerably, at least in therms of feeling and perception when belowdecks. The deck at cabin level became a nice space to carry a big dinghy, too (partly because the new mast sits forward of the previous).

The extended cabin provides higher topsides. The ride is dry. The extra buoyancy where is needed also adds reasurance.

The junk sail fulfills my expectations. Its super easy to reef in all the sailing conditions i experienced so far. The boat also rides smooth, with less heeling than before. Ghosting the sail doesnt flap, and in strong winds it goes smooth no matter what i do at the helm.

So far we experienced 39 knots peak wind speed. That was last wednesday, here at the north sea.

We surfed some preety nice waves with the sail reefed to 3 panels. It was a workout at the tiller, but it gave me the full trust on the boat, to know we can manage such seas.

Now at port, we keep working out several aspects of the boat while we wait for more easterlies to get going.

Im very satisfied with the modifications i did to the boat. We are 3 people and a dog, cruising in relative comfort. We spent so far no more than 3 continued days at sea. But i dont see why we couldnt do longer passages.

The interior layout with the extra space, allows everyone to have their small space at sea and at port.

More updates will come if i decide to keep modifying the boat
Caminantes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, cabin, sail, sailboat, steel