Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2021, 10:11   #1

Steering quadrant problem

The quadrant on my Choey Lee 32 (Richards) is shot. Unfortunately, it was bored at about 75° to the rudder so that it can fit in a very tight place. Unfortunately, all available quadrants are bored so they fit 90°. Furthermore, for valid liability and safety reasons, manufacturers will not drill a non-90° angle or sell a blank quadrant. Has anyone else solved this issue? (If you know the solution, please stop reading this diatribe and send me the answer!)

Details: The quadrant was attached to the 1.5 inch rudder post which sticks out of the waterproof sole by about 3.5 inches. The top is squared off for an emergency tiller. An easily removable floor covers the rudder post, quadrant, and steering cables leading through a couple of associated blocks to the steering pedestal. At no point in steering are the blocks and quadrant in precisely the same plane.

I am considering the following. If you have had success or failure with any of these, please let me know.
1. Find a used quadrant that works. No luck there.
2. Welding the rusty cast iron quadrant back together. It's currantly a real mess because of the rust, broken places, and the fact that I had to cut the bolts/quadrant roughly to remove it from the post.
3. Fabricating a new quadrant at the 75° angle. An excellent local machine shop said it would cost about $2500 (yikes!) to replicate what I have, but a simplified version might cost less.
4. Getting a new steering system, professionally designed, using options I am unaware of. This sounds like I am skeptical, but in fact, I have been dazzled by really smart people who know what they are talking about!
5. Switching to a tiller. This would be an onerous task including engineering an 18 inch rudder post extension with bearings, removing/sealing the pedestal, moving the electronics/compass/table/throttle, and buying the whole tiller assembly.
6. Any other options?

Thank you all in advance.
ThinkingAboutIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2021, 08:28   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Steering quadrant problem

Isn't this a repeat of an earlier post? Moderator?

Tags
steering