Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2020, 13:17   #46

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III
Re: steering system - chain and wire

Treat the chain like you should for a motorcycle but like you do :-)
Old 30-07-2020, 13:27   #47
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

my last motorcycle had a belt
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 03:08   #48

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
my last motorcycle had a belt

Bragging

I notice Harley Davidson are making battery powered bikes now. What will they do for sound? Maybe a recorder and loud megaphones?
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 05:48   #49
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I rode crotch rockets for a long time....never thought much about H-D...
until I got one....
I love H-D, they are the sweetest, nicest, sexiest thing in town, and powerful as all get out...I've owned two now....never had a lick of problems with either...
Yep, the have an electric version....not sure if it will sell...but I know that some car makers pipe exhaust sounds into the main cabin for sound effect....maybe H-D will do the same...but half the fun of a H-D is the sound...
but wait...this is a steering thread....you can leave a H-D handlebars alone and it would track straight as an arrow...well, for a hundred yards...
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 07:07   #50

Boat: Islander P40 40
Send a message via Skype™ to islanderp40

Looking at the other posts and currently I replaced both control cables and looking at replacing the chain and cable. You have more problems in terms of extreme corrosion of the binnacle and pedestal itself. Don't skimp on this whatsoever. HTH.
islanderp40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 07:26   #51

just as an aside - Dyneema steering cables are commonly used on high-end boats. It should last longer and be more reliable than wire because it does not flex fatigue when going around bends (around the pulleys). This 'longer-life/better reliability than wire' has been extensively confirmed in trawler applications.

Yes, it can be cut, and it is possible to chafe (although it is very tough) but neither should ever happen in a proper steering system set-up. If there is chafe happening you need to fix the system.
Breaking Waves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 07:43   #52

Boat: Catamaran Schionning Wilderness 1320, built myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaking Waves View Post
just as an aside - Dyneema steering cables are commonly used on high-end boats. It should last longer and be more reliable than wire because it does not flex fatigue when going around bends (around the pulleys). This 'longer-life/better reliability than wire' has been extensively confirmed in trawler applications.

Yes, it can be cut, and it is possible to chafe (although it is very tough) but neither should ever happen in a proper steering system set-up. If there is chafe happening you need to fix the system.
THANK YOU ;-)
Using it over 10 years now, never had a Problem, but I seemed to be the only happy one here.

And very sure, Dyneema is much more flexible than 7x19. A broken strand is no flesh hook and kind of self healing. A broken Steel Strand will start untwisting.

Maybe there is a reason for the fishing industry and others to switch from stainless to Dyneema. Check this, a steering rope application might be their smallest task:
Hampidjan.com.au
blubaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 09:52   #53

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamgoat View Post
I replaced mine,it looked fine but Edson suggests 10 years. Yours looks scary so why even think of cheaping out and not changing the wire. Imagine what happens when it breaks!!

I had a non-Edson pedestal on one boat with chain and cable steering. I was going to put in a hydraulic autopilot system and I contacted Edson about their autopilot steering arms. During the discussion the Edson rep said that the entire pedestal should be replaced (not inspected but replaced) every 10 years.

This floored me. Replacing pedestals is a huge project not even considering the cost of a new pedestal. I had to ask him several times to make sure I didn't misunderstand him. He said that was their hard and fast position, meaning don't bring us a problem with a cracked pedestal if it is older than 10 years.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 10:43   #54

Boat: Hans Christian 33

You may have another worry with your chain drive. If the chain is rusted, then it is not made of stainless steel as is an Edson chain. And, if your chain has a compass above it, as many boats do, your chain may affect your compass. We too do not have an Edson pedestal but a local rigger made up an Edson chain and wire drive for our boat.
hcfirstlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 18:51   #55

Just me. Might as well replace it all. Not expensive. Takes time. You are familiar with the entire system.You will find out if you have the right tools, and if you should buy spares, like that split link. Might as well have two.
Cynara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 19:48   #56

Boat: Celestial 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
You really should replace both the chain and wire. That chain is not safe, and I'm sure the wire is not either. The test is to take a clean rag, and run it along the wire. If you feel any snags or burs, it should be replaced. This should be done along the whole length, especially where it passes over the sheaves. When you remove the wire, just remove the wire from the quadrant, and attach string to the end of the wire so you can pull the new wire through. Note that in many systems the wire will cross somewhere, so the string helps to get that part correct, don't mix up the two ends of the string, or when it goes back together your steering will be reversed.

Even though you don't have an edson pedestal, call them, they probably have the correct chain and wire spliced together already.

You also should remove the shaft, clean and lubricate the bearings.

Consider looking at ebay at used edson pedestals. You might be able to swtich to an edson for about the same price as refurbishing that one.
YEP! THIS! LOL...We replaced our chain and then um...the wheel steered like a rudder LOL...pulled it out and had to cross it so that the wheel operated like a WHEEL - hey at least we got good at replacing the chain!
Alawaiorion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 19:53   #57

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alawaiorion View Post
YEP! THIS! LOL...We replaced our chain and then um...the wheel steered like a rudder LOL...pulled it out and had to cross it so that the wheel operated like a WHEEL - hey at least we got good at replacing the chain!

But why did you bother? You would have got used to it..........eventually!
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 19:58   #58

Boat: Celestial 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
But why did you bother? You would have got used to it..........eventually!
Actually we DID think about it for like a couple seconds LOL! But decided we better not - backing up would have been a nightmare with my dyslexia LOL!
Alawaiorion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 21:00   #59

Boat: 32’ Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaking Waves View Post

Do they replace the pulleys and radials going from cable to dyneema?
IslandInfedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 05:09   #60

I am having trouble getting the steering shaft out so I can replace the steering bearings. I have an Edson cable and chain 402 8" pedestal from 1996. I know about aligning the fiber washer with the shaft key and have removed the drive pin holding the steering shaft to the sprocket. I had a hard time removing the wheel using a 6 ton gear puller. Edson told me it is common that grit gets into the alignment key at the wheel but not inside the pedestal at the sprocket. Edson's reply is it is tricking to get the fiber washer aligned with the sprocket key and when I do the shaft should pull out.
Any anyone have similar experiences or suggestions.
I recently purchased this boat and Morris ocean 46 that did an around the world trip then sat on the hard for almost three years.
jonbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering