Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2021, 11:01   #1

Boat: Truant Triad 37
Stevens 47 - Worth a Refit?

I am interested/curious about a current listing for a 1981 Stevens 47 on Yachtworld. I know this is a loaded question, but I would like to know if this boat would be a consideration for a refit or should I move on elsewhere. I have always had the Stevens/Hylas 47 at the top of my wish list. This listing is intriguing but I am not sure the extent of a required refit, costs or larger considerations (ie. structural issues with older Stevens is worth putting a lot of time and money into. I would expect that much of the manual labour I would do myself but would need subject matter experts for some of the complicated items.

I have spoken with the broker a couple of times (and he is very positive - surprise) but do not have any additional information other than what is on the listing. Obviously full robust survey etc. would be necessary but assuming the "bones" are good is it still reasonable to refit this boat?

Kindly let me know your thoughts and considerations.

Thank you
BlueNoser17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 11:07   #2

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310
Re: Stevens 47 - Worth a Refit?

First question is if the decks are saturated.

Aside from that, a refit takes time and money, but might as well pour it into a quality boat.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 11:10   #3

Thank you Tetepare. I agree. Saturated decks would be a deal killer from the start
Old 10-09-2021, 11:18   #4

Go have a look, then price the following items. If the cost is less than your budget, you have a winner. Assuming they're old, replace:
The engine
The genset
The standing rigging
The through hulls and seacocks
The bilge pumps
Also fix any serious hull and deck issues

That at least gets you somewhat operational, electrical systems and electronics aren't covered but it gives you a good sense.

Personally I think they're cool boats and worth a strong look.
Old 10-09-2021, 11:23   #5

Thanks Henry. I also agree on the "cool boats" comment. Think they are timeless myself. Your list is pretty good. Assuming a good survey (no deal killers), I have similar big ticket items on my list. I have also included sails, tanks status and some other systems but these are secondary. Most interested in whether or not the Forum are of the view that this is a strong model to refit or not
Old 10-09-2021, 11:31   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueNoser17 View Post
Think they are timeless myself.

They are legendary and flippin' gorgeous.

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/stevens-47

If memory serves, some of the Taiwan Queen yard yachts were plagued with blistering but I don't remember what models/years.
Old 11-09-2021, 08:14   #7

If you have plenty of money the refit would preserve a legendary boat.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 09:28   #8

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

It as to be a labor of love with deep pockets.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 09:38   #9

Boat: STEVENS 47

We bought a 1981 Stevens 47 six years ago. A wish list boat for sure.
She was a mess and our only request of the appraiser was sound hull, decks and mast. We replaced engine, instruments, and added solar/wind, new ground tackle and various electrical items, and essential cosmetics. Since then we have renewed standing and running rigging, mainsail, staysail and cosmetic upgrades and replaced parts as they break or wear out. Last month we had her bottom soda blasted, new barrier coat and antifouling. No sign of blisters anywhere.
She is a 40 years old and 47ft. Does not come cheap, and I will be pleased to share if you contact me.
The payback is almost 17,000 miles of cruising from Florida to Maine, Bahamas and most of the Caribbean at least once. We try to spend 4-5 months a year on the boat. Currently, in the Chesapeake waiting to go to Canada next year.
hillierj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 10:20   #10

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Well known sailors and friends of ours Behan, Jamie; and children, Niall, Mairen, and Siobhan have sailed for years on their Stevens 47 Totem.

Their blog is https://www.sailingtotem.com/, and they have created a facebook page about these boats https://www.facebook.com/groups/StevensHylas47 although it seems to be private. You might contact them and see if it is "viewable" for none owners.

As far as "worth a refit"? These are an excellent design from a reputable Asian yard. It all depends on the condition.

What counts as a "refit"? Do you want to make it like new? Or do you want to correct any deficiencies and start using it? It is easy to get carried away and take on too much. Then the costs get awfully high quite fast.

And just remember, you will not get your money out of it so don't spend too much unless you know it's your "forever" boat.
Old 11-09-2021, 10:52   #11
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueNoser17 View Post
I am interested/curious about a current listing for a 1981 Stevens 47 on Yachtworld. I know this is a loaded question, but I would like to know if this boat would be a consideration for a refit or should I move on elsewhere. I have always had the Stevens/Hylas 47 at the top of my wish list. This listing is intriguing but I am not sure the extent of a required refit, costs or larger considerations (ie. structural issues with older Stevens is worth putting a lot of time and money into. I would expect that much of the manual labour I would do myself but would need subject matter experts for some of the complicated items.

I have spoken with the broker a couple of times (and he is very positive - surprise) but do not have any additional information other than what is on the listing. Obviously full robust survey etc. would be necessary but assuming the "bones" are good is it still reasonable to refit this boat?

Kindly let me know your thoughts and considerations.

Thank you
If this is the boat in San Francisco, listed on Yachtworld, and the photos are current then go for it. You will need new sails and rigging but the rest of the boat, inside and out, is beautiful. They don't make 'em like that anymore.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 11:34   #12

Boat: Hinckley 59
Send a message via AIM to caffel

I recently spent a week working with the long time owner of a 1980 example.
He loves it and has restored quite a bit.
Has a nice layout below w good headroom.
The least predictable thing that he mentioned was some delamination beneath the waterline that took some grinding and many layers of waterproof epoxy primer.
It sails well.
I've only been aboard in near ideal conditions and I'm a little wary about reefing since it's a 65' mast.

CA
caffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 12:29   #13

Boat: Stevens 47

I own a 1981 Stevens 47. I’ve sailed the boat from South Carolina to the Abacos and back off shore three times, and in some sporty weather. By sporty I mean 30 knots abaft the beam. The boats are reasonably fast and have an extremely easy motion in a sea way.

The hull is solid glass and about 1” thick at the bottom. The decks are foam cored and don’t hold water. All of the standing rigging is oversized. The bulkheads are well tabbed into the hull.

I’ve done an extensive refit of my Stevens, including chain plates, standing rigging, running rigging, plumbing, rewire, new electronics and sails. Of course, I’ve owned her for 14 years, so all of the above was spread out over that time.

Would I do it again? Yep.
sainted is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refit