Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2022, 16:39   #16

Boat: Hunter 46
Re: "stick on" non skid vs Painted on

Sea Dek scanned, fabricated and installed buy local dealer in the cockpit, companionway, aft lazarettes, port/starboard gunnels and captain seat underside was ~$1400 over 3 years ago. If you every want to remove or replace a section......... simply pull it up and wipe the floor with acetone then you place new section down.
Old 25-07-2022, 21:25   #17

Boat: Custome Open BOC 50' cutter rig

I removed all my Aluminum deck's failed non-slip paint, repainted it as per instructions. I laid 3M Self Adhesive z pattern rubber non-slip decking. In 2 years no lifting of the non-slip the key is the glue needs to be from 3M or it will lift. I also put it on the sides of my non-inflatable Dingy direct on the Aluminum tubes. The key is to use Mylar clear film as a template, tape it onto the back of the non-slip mat and cut the shape. As per my photos worth a thousand words. Good luck with your project. PS I also found in hot sun you do not burn your feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfbr View Post
Anyone with stickon non skid able to give a comparison where they have found it better than painted on?

I am worried about repainting the current deck and having to sand the non skid back, and don't want to repeat for future.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9225.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	410.6 KB
ID:	261556   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6286.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	426.2 KB
ID:	261557  

Name:	IMG_6292.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	413.3 KB
ID:	261558   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6300.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	417.3 KB
ID:	261559  

Name:	IMG_6283.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	423.6 KB
ID:	261560   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ana cutting out the templetes for the bow (2).jpg
Views:	84
Size:	421.0 KB
ID:	261561  

Name:	IMG_6290.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	410.9 KB
ID:	261562   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6299.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	408.6 KB
ID:	261563  

kryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 09:59   #18

Boat: Wellcraft portofino 43’

Six years ago Sea-Dek was applied to the helm and swim areas of our 43’
Portofino. It’s non-skid, soft on the feet, and attractive. The price is reasonable. We recommend it and definitely would apply it to our next boat. The non-skid surface was sanded with 220 then wiped with glass cleaner before the Sea-Dek was applied. No areas have had an adhesion issue nor have wear patterns appeared. It’s a live aboard during the summer months so it sees lots of use. Cleaning it can be challenging but brushing on diluted dish detergent then using a pressure washer can make it look like new, just don’t get the nozzle too close as it can easily cut the decking material.
David Mathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 12:43   #19

Boat: Summer Twins 25

I have Tread Master but I hate it
Non slip properties 10/10 looks 3/10
It was great once but now I just don’t know what to do with it, it’s brown it’s blue in different shades I find it doesn’t clean.
They sell a paint at £70 per litre but doesn’t last.
I suggest painting the deck.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	7DF2B943-9171-42E9-BC08-82A6E124B396.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	453.1 KB
ID:	262046  
Shaneesprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 04:42   #20

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryg View Post
I removed all my Aluminum deck's failed non-slip paint, repainted it as per instructions. I laid 3M Self Adhesive z pattern rubber non-slip decking. In 2 years no lifting of the non-slip the key is the glue needs to be from 3M or it will lift. I also put it on the sides of my non-inflatable Dingy direct on the Aluminum tubes. The key is to use Mylar clear film as a template, tape it onto the back of the non-slip mat and cut the shape. As per my photos worth a thousand words. Good luck with your project. PS I also found in hot sun you do not burn your feet.
Nice job

How hot does it get n a stinking hot day ? Compared to the non slip paint you had. Which one did you have ?

TIA
Old 02-08-2022, 05:24   #21

Boat: Custome Open BOC 50' cutter rig

Thanks - Old paint job-I burn my feet as the paint color was a light gray color to stop reflective light. The non-slip pain did wear in high traffic deck areas, so much so I have a few bad falls, as the non-slip became slippery over the years.... The deck mat retains no heat, it insulates noise and heat somewhat (10%+-). I was nicely surprised, the gray Z decking on hot days at most body temp warm, easy to walk in on the hottest of days. Very good non-slip and will not cut up the bottom edge of the foot of the head sails as my non-slip painted deck did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
Nice job

How hot does it get n a stinking hot day ? Compared to the non slip paint you had. Which one did you have ?

TIA
kryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 05:47   #22
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

from what I have seen and heard .. stick on will eventually peel off or degrade to something worse. it is silly not to paint but what do I know
Old 02-08-2022, 05:55   #23

Boat: Razzle Dazzle - 61ft Simpson / Crowther Daggerboard Cat ‘93

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
from what I have seen and heard .. stick on will eventually peel off or degrade to something worse. it is silly not to paint but what do I know
Any comments on brush paint vs spraying?
nfbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 05:59   #24

Quote:
I can’t paint 😭 but I can brush paint a deck 😂
So I would say a brush is quite safe to use.
Old 02-08-2022, 07:48   #25
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Check out the YouTube videos on the roll & sprinkle method. Boatworks Today did a series of videos on this. For spraying you wear out the tips like crazy.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 08:56   #26

Boat: Constellation49

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryg View Post
Kryg,

What brand of non skid matting did you install? Do you think it would adhere to bare aluminum if the 3m adhesive is applied as per OEM guidance?
Constellation49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 14:08   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
Not in my experience- I dread the thought of trying to remove Treadmaster - there is not a corner lifting anywhere. Couple of bits of damage but 100% functional. It’s just not pretty enough, so it’s staying down for a few more years
Old 04-08-2022, 15:02   #28

Boat: Skye 51

I’ve done awlgrip a few times and really like it. Prep and prime with 545 epoxy primer then first coat brushed awlgrip. Heavy dusting of gripex - very heavy - on the wet awlgrip. Let dry. Sweep up the excess gripex that’s not stuck to the first coat. Apply second cot or awlgrip. Done. Easy, uniform look, easy to clean and decent nonslip that doesn’t chew up the soles of your feet.
Old 04-08-2022, 16:08   #29
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingVeracity View Post
I’ve done awlgrip a few times and really like it. Prep and prime with 545 epoxy primer then first coat brushed awlgrip. Heavy dusting of gripex - very heavy - on the wet awlgrip. Let dry. Sweep up the excess gripex that’s not stuck to the first coat. Apply second cot or awlgrip. Done. Easy, uniform look, easy to clean and decent nonslip that doesn’t chew up the soles of your feet.
Exactly. It’s said that the Soft-Sand product used the same way as Griptex is even better

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 19:47   #30

Boat: Razzle Dazzle - 61ft Simpson / Crowther Daggerboard Cat ‘93

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingVeracity View Post
Did you grind back worn non skid, or go over?
nfbr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint