Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2022, 18:57   #1

Boat: Razzle Dazzle - 61ft Simpson / Crowther Daggerboard Cat ‘93
"stick on" non skid vs Painted on

Anyone with stickon non skid able to give a comparison where they have found it better than painted on?

I am worried about repainting the current deck and having to sand the non skid back, and don't want to repeat for future.
nfbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2022, 21:21   #2
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: "stick on" non skid vs Painted on

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfbr View Post
Anyone with stickon non skid able to give a comparison where they have found it better than painted on?

I am worried about repainting the current deck and having to sand the non skid back, and don't want to repeat for future.
If you use Awlgrip paint with Griptex sprinkled in, it is good for 25 years in the tropics. I guess that’s pretty good… of course mine is 28 years old so that’s not so good, means more work

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2022, 23:01   #3

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

i've tried kiwigrip with great success. on the otherhand any stick-on seems to start peeling around the edges etc after a few years (or even less)

personally, i'd always go for painted-on non-skid

cheers,
Old 24-07-2022, 00:37   #4

Boat: Westerly Sealord

My boat was built with Treadmaster https://www.treadmaster.co.uk/pages/...ct-Information in the mid 80's. Was well overdue for replacement - but was still doing its job - when I replaced it with new Treadmaster in 2014.

Eight years on its as good as new - and it gets heavy use.

Only con I can think of is that is not kind to bare feet.

I considered Kiwigrip, however they did not recommend 'over tinting' and for my style of sailing I preferred the TM fawn.
' Most lighter custom colors are easily achievable, however being that it is recommended to add no more than 3% tint to the paint some darker/vibrant colors are difficult to match. If too much tint is added the paint will become watery and lose it’s non-skid properties. Please keep in mind that the KiwiGrip stock colors were chosen to minimize heat absorption when exposed to direct sunlight, thus providing a finish that will be comfortable to walk on in any weather condition.'. https://www.pyiinc.com/KiwiGrip/kiwi...om-colors.html

I think both products are good, you just pays your money and takes your pick.

( The Treadmaster on my companionway steps is the original and is still in reasonable shape - ditto the smooth TM on top of the cockpit coamings.)
Old 24-07-2022, 02:20   #5

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30

Ours was built with Treadmaster as well and after 40 years in the sun it does not look that great and is due for replacement but it's still very non skid.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2022, 04:58   #6

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

My boat has Kiwigrip and diamond Treadmaster used on the sugarscoops. 21years, the Kiwigrip has had its use by date and the Treadmaster is lifting.

Note the Treadmaster is grey and on a hot day will burn your feet... To hot to stand or sit on. I won't use it again.

I don't like the DIY look of Kiwigrip and would like to find a uniformed pattern mesh grip.
Old 24-07-2022, 09:43   #7

Boat: Sabre 402

#80 grit sandpaper took the molded nonskid off our J/36 without much effort. We could still make out the faint lines of the nonskid zones however -even through the primer- so we were able to tape them off for painting. We used Interlux Interthane Plus IIRC - the precursor to Perfection. The only improvement might have been to use more grit than we did. We painted over the primer on the nonskid area first with grit in the paint, then removed the nonskid masking tape and did two topcoats over everything (skid and nonskid areas and cabintop). It held up well - about 15 years - before getting simply worn off in places like the cabintop corners where the jibsheets chafed it.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2022, 09:50   #8

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

I found some stick-on stuff (don’t recall brand name) to overlay some wood behind the steering pedestal on our dinghy to avoid the wear pattern of the constant standing motion there. It lasted less than one year.

My opinion -waste of money
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2022, 10:21   #9
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Stick-on non skid has so many variations… I had Treadmaster on steel decks for 17 years after which it looked like new, without any corners lifting etc.

I now have Treadmaster to protect my deck from the anchor chain and it is falling apart after 28 years under tropical sun.

I think Treadmaster is a very good product but it is very hard on the feet (they have easier versions now I think) and also gets too hot under the sun.

Today I would choose SoftSand or GripTex sprinkled in paint or even varnish.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2022, 08:37   #10

Boat: Hunter 46

Two words...........Sea Dek. Scan the deak, make a template and stick on. That is what I have in my sailboat cockpit.

A lower cost alternatve is to tape off and apply 2 coats of Awlgrip Topcoat, a 3 part system with topcoat, converter and reducer. Last year painted 600 sqft non-skid on my powerboat. Looks great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Seadek Companionway & Cockpit.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	410.1 KB
ID:	261521   Click image for larger version

Name:	Seadek on Captain Seat Underside.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	418.4 KB
ID:	261522  

Old 25-07-2022, 08:51   #11

Boat: Razzle Dazzle - 61ft Simpson / Crowther Daggerboard Cat ‘93

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail sfbay View Post
Two words...........Sea Dek. Scan the deak, make a template and stick on. That is what I have in my sailboat cockpit.

A lower cost alternatve is to tape off and apply 2 coats of Awlgrip Topcoat, a 3 part system with topcoat, converter and reducer. Last year painted 600 sqft non-skid on my powerboat. Looks great.
Did you put / would you put seadeck on your coachroof, foredeck, sides?
nfbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2022, 10:03   #12

Boat: Hunter 46

No. Too expensive.
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2022, 10:23   #13

I'm with the 'good paint with GripTex' crowd.

I put Treadmaster on my Hans Christian after removing the teak. It was great non skid, but hard on bare feet and almost too grippy. A ton of work too.

Tried a little bit of KiwiGrip and wasn't a fan of it. Seems like latex paint. I didn't get the impression it was going to last long. It stains readily and gets dirty fast. It could be an easy solution though and easy to recoat I suppose.

I have use TuffCoat UT100 SR (SR=smooth rubber ) which has a finer particle than the normal agressive TuffCoat. Submersible coating. I used it on deck steps at the house. It outlasts the wood!

TUFF Coat UT-100 SR Smooth Texture 1 Gallon Non-Skid Coating

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2022, 11:21   #14

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

We had the teak decks removed, put down three layers of glass, painted with Sterling and added Griptex in 2001. Twenty years later and one circumnavigation, the Griptex has worn to where it's too smooth and needs to be redone. I'll be using the Griptex again.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2022, 16:06   #15

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail sfbay View Post

It looks great, how long have you had it and what did it cost?
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint