Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2020, 12:25   #1

Boat: Admiral 38 Executive
Sticking Cabinet Doors and Drawers

Yesterday I had a potential new boat (for me) surveyed. Although we really like the boat, almost every drawer, door and floorboard stuck. Not just a little, but needed real force to open. The boat is wintering on the hard in Massachusetts. She left the water mid October. I would expect that by now things would have started to dry out and start shrinking, so I wouldn't have expected just about everything to be stuck. We visited the boat while she was in the water, but I don't remember the sticking problem to be quite as acute as it is now.
Sure, there may be a little flexing, but this boat is 50' long and built for blue ocean cruising so I wouldn't have expected this. The boat is about 22 years old.
The cabinetry is solid maple. I'm not sure what the sole is, I don't think it is teak or mahogany, but it is a very heavy and solid wood.
Any ideas, tricks or tips about how to prevent this from occurring aside from the obvious shaving to fit?
mojosailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 12:28   #2

Boat: CT-47
Re: Sticking Cabinet Doors and Drawers

Once back in the water.... probably all good again..... your sea trial will reveal if the problem persists
gabilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 16:48   #3

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: Sticking Cabinet Doors and Drawers

Did they varnish in the fall? First thought goes to how the boat is supported. “Banana-ing” of the hull can cause cabin furniture to jam. If the mast is up, how tight is the backstay? If the boat is covered it can also stay quite humid inside, especially with all the rain and fog New England has been getting this winter. What kind of boat and what builder could also be clues as to why things aren’t opening easily.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabin