Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2024, 06:41   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 35.1
Sticky DST-810 paddle wheel

Last season my DST-810 worked fine. Now, the paddle wheel gets stuck even after turning freely for several minutes. There doesn't appear to be any material adhered to it. What might be a good cleaning method for it, guessing that there is some gunk on the axle?
Old 29-04-2024, 06:51   #2

Boat: Cruising Catamaran
Re: Sticky DST-810 paddle wheel

I assume you are trying to clean it in situ. The only real way is to pull it out and clean it. I use a pointy steak knife. You can paint with a special anti-foul, it does not last long.
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2024, 07:11   #3

Of course I pull it out to inspect it, which is how I know there isn't some stray bit of whatever in the paddle wheel. And I leave it out when away from the boat.

I have used dental floss. Perhaps something harder would be better.
Old 29-04-2024, 12:36   #4

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean last winter. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland hopefully this summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

I would pull it out and soak the bottom end in a 50/50 solution of white vinegar and water. If a bunch of material comes out/off of it change the solution and soak again. Then use some isopropyl alcohol with q-tips to clean all the nooks and crannies. The wheel should turn very freely at this point - just blowing lightly on it should do it. I usually finish off with a spray of CRC 6-56, though this probably washes out fairly quickly and may not do much.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2024, 17:58   #5

Thanks. I only have red wine vinegar aboard. Hope the gunk isn’t particular.
Old 29-04-2024, 18:13   #6

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean last winter. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland hopefully this summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. D View Post
Thanks. I only have red wine vinegar aboard. Hope the gunk isn’t particular.
Red wine vinegar? Huh. Well, probably won't make it worse but I'd definitely rinse with plain water afterwards. I think red wine vinegar has a significant sugar content but its acidity is probably comparable.

White vinegar is actually a great cleaning product, available pretty much everywhere, and cheap. We always have a gallon on board. We keep a spray bottle diluted 50/50 as our go-to cleaner. It is generally ok on all surfaces and materials. Fights mold. Cuts grease. Doesn't bother your skin.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2024, 18:10   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougweibel View Post
I would pull it out and soak the bottom end in a 50/50 solution of white vinegar and water. If a bunch of material comes out/off of it change the solution and soak again. Then use some isopropyl alcohol with q-tips to clean all the nooks and crannies. The wheel should turn very freely at this point - just blowing lightly on it should do it. I usually finish off with a spray of CRC 6-56, though this probably washes out fairly quickly and may not do much.
Thanks!

I used your suggested procedure (including white vinegar) and the DST worked as it should over four days sailing.
Old 15-05-2024, 12:20   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougweibel View Post
You nailed it. I followed your suggestion, then went on a four day cruise. The DST worked properly the whole time. Thanks again.
Old 18-05-2024, 08:00   #9

Boat: Pearson 34-II

In the modern era with GPS, speed logs are not worth the effort. I haven't used one in 20 years. However, there are new ones that mount inside the hull. Get rid of the paddlewheel . . they're prehistoric.
Rognvald
Old 18-05-2024, 16:48   #10

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
I would pull it out and soak the bottom end in a 50/50 solution of white vinegar and water.
Vinegar is indeed a good soaking cleaner for paddlewheels, but I wonder why you specify diluting regular white vinegar in this application? I actually use the double strength version available in the household chemicals section of the supermarket and it works quite well to remove marine growth.

I also use regular ablative bottom paint to coat the wheel and the cavity. I thin it a bit more than usual and apply a thin coat with a Q-tip. Lasts a while and discourages growth. Easy to reapply when it is washed away.

Jim
Old 19-05-2024, 02:22   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Vinegar is indeed a good soaking cleaner for paddlewheels, but I wonder why you specify diluting regular white vinegar in this application? I actually use the double strength version available in the household chemicals section of the supermarket and it works quite well to remove marine growth...m
The only difference between cleaning vinegar, and food-grade distilled white vinegar, is the level of acidity, and refinement, that makes distilled white vinegar suitable for consumption.
The two products are processed differently, and, most critically, cleaning vinegar is not approved [or intended] for human consumption.
Distilled white vinegar is usually 95 percent water, and [4%➛] 5 % acetic acid.
By contrast, cleaning vinegar contains up to 6% acid [94% water], thus, is around 20 percent stronger, than regular white vinegar.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wheel