Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2022, 05:59   #1

Boat: bavaria, 49 ft. sailboat
Smile storage of diving tanks

where and how do you store your diving tanks? We have a 49 ft bavaria, 3 cabins, 3 heads plus dedicated shower room. Only my husband and I so planning to use one aft cabin for storage and the opposite head. We have 6 dive tanks. I find if I open the door to the bathroom I can stand all 6 tanks on he floor, although not completely flat. however, they would need to be strapped in. need suggestions on how to do that or alternative suggestion for storage. all suggestions appreciated.
In Training is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 17:51   #2

Boat: Oyster 66
Re: storage of diving tanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Training View Post
where and how do you store your diving tanks? We have a 49 ft bavaria, 3 cabins, 3 heads plus dedicated shower room. Only my husband and I so planning to use one aft cabin for storage and the opposite head. We have 6 dive tanks. I find if I open the door to the bathroom I can stand all 6 tanks on he floor, although not completely flat. however, they would need to be strapped in. need suggestions on how to do that or alternative suggestion for storage. all suggestions appreciated.
Get rid of four and buy a dive compressor. I did this.

There are proprietary storage solutions, or make your own clamp/brackets. Not too hard to do.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 18:12   #3

Boat: Shannon 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiu View Post
Second the motion.

Coltri-Sub gasoline powered is the smallest, lightest option. Assuming you are already carrying gasoline for the outboard, you just have to carry a bit more. Some people are put off by this, but I figure I am already carrying a lot of other flammable stuff. I keep it on deck in approved containers.

It's not cheap, but it will change your life if you like to dive, and based on 6 tanks, I assume you like to dive. Definitely takes up the same space as 2 tanks.
jordanbigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 19:26   #4

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Training View Post

Feel your pain on that, two of my kids dive and we have carried too many cylinders on many occasions.

There are two choices.

If you keep the cylinders upright you can make or buy some sort of contoured support to fit between them and the bulkhead then use a camover buckle or heavy bungee to hold them in place. There are many choices commercially and they are not hard to make out of plywood. See photos.

The other choice is you can make a heavy plywood box that is sized to hold two layers of three cylinders. You wedge a towel or rag or plywood shim or whatever between cylinders and layers so they don't bang on each other. I have done this with two layers of two cylinders for hauling in pickup beds etc but have not used the boxes onboard. No reason they wouldn't work although in a seaway you may have to lash or otherwise attach the box to the deck or bulkhead.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GetImage.ashx.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	253.3 KB
ID:	250903   Click image for larger version

Name:	scubaholder.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	445.8 KB
ID:	250904  

Old 07-01-2022, 19:35   #5

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiu View Post

Sure, just realize that there's a certain amount of maintenance and air testing and so on that goes with it. And you're looking at $5000. I tried to do it on the cheap and wasted a bunch of money on a machine that didn't work and that no one could fix. There used to be various low-cost sources of good surplus compressors years ago but the market has changed.
Old 07-01-2022, 23:10   #6

In Training,

I converted a hanging locker into a dive locker. Made bracket out of aluminum bar and can store three tanks securely. Once clamped in, they become part of the boat. I didn't want tanks bouncing around above or below deck.

I also build shelves that fit in the area above the stowed tanks.

SCUBA - LA Gallery

Perhaps you can fasten clamps (wood or aluminum) to the head area and clamp your tanks in there?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TankLocker.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	250912  
scherzoja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 01:38   #7

Boat: Lightwave 38' Catamaran - now sold

I stored my 3 under the floor in one hull. Fitted perfectly. Basically, anywhere you can find and make something to hold in place.
clownfishsydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 02:45   #8

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

I second the compressor option. Two tanks can be laid down and easily restrained.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 14:13   #9

Boat: Pearson 30

Also consider using old tank backpacks, Remove unnecessary straps and parts and secure the backpack in desired location. Use the tank bands/straps to secure the tanks.
Sailon1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diving, storage, tanks