Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2021, 13:37   #31

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5
Re: Storing varnish brushes between coats without cleaning

I wrap the brushes in Saran wrap, and seal both ends tight. Unwrap the next day and use.
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 20:45   #32

Suspend the brush in Xylene (also called Xylol). It will keep for weeks.
This stuff is also perfect for cleaning the brush. I usually roughly clean the brush in a half-full 1 quart plastic mixing cup, then store it in another half-full cup. Cups and Xylene are available at any of the major hardware stores. Xylene is most economically purchased by the gallon.
col50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 20:02   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimp1234 View Post
Up to know I've been using disposable foam brushes for varnishing bright work, but I'm wanting to try regular good quality brushes, especially for the final coats. I'd obviously have to clean brushes between coats, however I've read that some people have avoided the cleaning step by storing the brushes wet in plastic bags, putting them in the refrigerator, etc. Any recommendations on storing brushes between coats without cleaning that have actually worked for you?

Thanx
I have good success not cleaning them and just refrigerating them. For overnight period I have place them in the freezer. I put them in a zip lock 1 gallon bag. I have done this for up to eight coats of varnish.
jimellifritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2021, 04:00   #34

I leave my varnish and oil paint brushes in a bath of diesel fuel or #2...it keeps them in good order and does not clog the same way as paint thinner does. Don't worry about any residual oil that may remain when you are ready to use the brush again...it works itself out in the first few strokes and does not impact the paint or varnish.
henrythorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2021, 05:27   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
Not meant to sound mean but -

Yup, that’s what I want on board. Pales of old brushes and toxic flammable hydrocarbons. Cost of a quart of solvent in the Caribbean will buy several brushes. I must consider where to store anything. A five gallon brush spinner is not even close to making that list let alone single use chemicals. Disposal? Pardon me while I guffaw. Hahahahahahahaha. You’d have to be a dock queen in a first world country to mess with this.
Along the lines I was thinking. Dad used to keep good brushes for years. And when living on dirt I also kept brushes for a long time, good ones. But I find it difficult aboard. I can wrap and bag and put in the fridge, but this goes only so far, then you need solvents. It is often hard enough to be rid of used oil. In NC we had to drive to a “convenience center” to dump.

ATM (due Covid) we are Philadelphia for a few months. All volatiles are toxic wastes that need to be disposed of at a City site, which is open once a month, by appointment. We are redoing a rental unit, construction waste needs to be taken to a commercial transfer station, $125/load minimum, and you need to call ahead because they sometimes close to residents.

Tough enough on land, in the Caribbean and other such spots it can be very difficult.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2021, 16:26   #36

Boat: None

I don't have any boat specific experience, but I have had good luck with the last couple of coats thinning the varnish in a sealable container and then wiping it on with a rag or lint free paper towel. I get nice thin coats, no brush marks, and easy cleanup. Seal up what is left for the next coat or next project. There are lots of good references regarding thinning your own varnish on the internet.
Renoirpierre is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brushes, cleaning, varnish