Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2017, 13:46   #1

Stray marina electric currents?

Three weeks ago my 89 year old John Alden designed cutter sank in the marina. After she was refloated we found the bronze through hull transducer had failed. The threaded section through the hull had corroded somewhat but still had about 2 mm thickness, but that section had broken away. The outer flange had parted, allowing water pressure to force the rest of the fitting inside the hull. I keep an anode hanging in the water with a wire attached to the rudder post, hoping to attract any stray currents. Three other through hull fittings are in good condition.
The only conclusion we can reach is a stray current targeted the fitting & caused it to fail quite quickly.
The boat is sadly a write-off. All the internal timbers have swelled & of course the engine & electrics are gone. The boat was immersed 22 hours by the time we refloated her.
i don't know what the answer is - maybe hanging 3 or 4 anodes over the side, keeping them clean to be effective, & perhaps replacing fittings each time the boat is out of the water?
Malbow42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 14:11   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: Stray marina electric currents?

How old was the throughull ? 89 yrs is a lot to ask of any metal in salt water.
If it was stray current, 99% of the time your own boat is the cause.
Old 10-10-2017, 15:11   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Very sad to hear about the sinking of your cutter.

I would of thought the hull (and engine) could be saved but at what cost???
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 15:58   #4

The bronze through-hull was only 11 years old.
The hull is OK but below in the cabin is where the water has done its damage. A major project to rebuild.
22 hours immersion of the engine & corrosion of all machined surfaces had started leading to corrosion cracking in the future.
Malbow42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 16:26   #5

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

When I was in New Zealand, I saw a catamaran that had to replace both rudders because leakage current had severely pitted the rudder posts to the point of breakage.

I got under the multihull and touched the sail drive and felt the tingling of ac current on the sail drive. I went and got my volt ohm meter and measured 80 volts ac between the ground and the sail drive. I was lucky not to get electrocuted by the leakage ac current.

So that boat had dc leak that destroyed the rudder posts and ac leak coming out the sail drives. Very weird.

That's one reason I don't like to be in tightly packed marinas because I don't know who is putting what in the water and how it might affect Exit Only.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 09:34   #6

Boat: Chung Hwa Boat Builders, Magellan 36

I have seen an engine under water for one week, rinsed with fresh water, oil changed, carburetor cleaned and started and run reliably. I don't know if that is always the case but have seen it before
foufou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 09:38   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

I have salvaged two outboards that were in the drink for a few days. I would not give up on an engine that has been submerged for only 24 hours.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 11:07   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I have salvaged two outboards that were in the drink for a few days. I would not give up on an engine that has been submerged for only 24 hours.

They Key is to get to it as soon as it comes out of the water, if it’s been dry for a couple of days, it is in much worse shape than it was as soon as it came out of the water.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 13:55   #9

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

If your transducer had a temperature sensor built into it,I would suspect salt water penetrated to the temp. sensing chip,which is fed 5vdc from the display. This will cause rapid & total destruction of the bronze t- ducer & other gear.

I ran into this when built in temp sensors began to be included in Airmar & other(B44V?,etc ) t-ducers back in the late '80's & used by various electronics mfgrs.

My solution back then was to cut the 5v feed at the t-ducer jack & live without surface water temp-which was not of much use anyway.

+5v hanging in the water does a quick number on underwater gear.

I don't know if the problem was ever cured or not,but it is something to keep in mind if you have water temp display on any gear.

Len
Old 11-10-2017, 15:03   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
If your transducer had a temperature sensor built into it,I would suspect salt water penetrated to the temp. sensing chip,which is fed 5vdc from the display. This will cause rapid & total destruction of the bronze t- ducer & other gear.

Len
Sounds like another reason to stick with my Milwaukee Tools remote temp sensor- plus it is good for checking engine spot temps as well as cooking.
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 15:36   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by foufou View Post
I have seen an engine under water for one week, rinsed with fresh water, oil changed, carburetor cleaned and started and run reliably. I don't know if that is always the case but have seen it before
We had a tugboat under water for seven weeks in fresh water and when the salvage was done we started both engines a week after the haul out and both motors started. Both were 370hp Isuzu engines and today, they are still running strong, no issues.

Was your motor in fresh water? and was it diesel?
seabreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 18:50   #12

And I think this brings us right back to Marelon fittings which Mads @ Saillife selected. Does the diety of the ABYC rules sometimes prevent one issue but enable another?

Over the past 10 years have more boats (proportionally) gone down due to side loads on Marelon vs the "seems more frequent" galvanic corrision of metal?
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 19:00   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Stray marina electric currents?

I don’t have plastic thru hulls myself, but I’m led to understand that they are hell for strong, tested to something like hundreds of lbs of pull on a side load?
From my understanding it would almost take a sledge hammer to bust one off.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 03:28   #14

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malbow42 View Post
Three weeks ago my 89 year old John Alden designed cutter sank in the marina. After she was refloated we found the bronze through hull transducer had failed. The threaded section through the hull had corroded somewhat but still had about 2 mm thickness, but that section had broken away. The outer flange had parted, allowing water pressure to force the rest of the fitting inside the hull. I keep an anode hanging in the water with a wire attached to the rudder post, hoping to attract any stray currents. Three other through hull fittings are in good condition.
The only conclusion we can reach is a stray current targeted the fitting & caused it to fail quite quickly.
The boat is sadly a write-off. All the internal timbers have swelled & of course the engine & electrics are gone. The boat was immersed 22 hours by the time we refloated her.
i don't know what the answer is - maybe hanging 3 or 4 anodes over the side, keeping them clean to be effective, & perhaps replacing fittings each time the boat is out of the water?
Folks
I may be wrong but I think the OP is telling us his depth finder bronze thru hull transducer failed,but three other "seacock" thru hulls are fine.
So,why would corrosion pick on just his depthfinder transducer??. & leave his seacocks alone?? See my earlier post for one possibility that I personally experienced on several vessels that I serviced.

Len
Old 12-10-2017, 03:55   #15
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

What a shame and heart breaking when the phone rings. More boats are sunk at marinas than off shore. Marinas are well known for stray currents. Boats left and hooked to shore power at Marinas should have healthy bilge pumps. There are simple alarms that can send a message to your phone that your boat is taking on water. Agree as well, don't give up on the engine quite yet.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
current, electric