Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2008, 22:07   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Quote:
I was thinking the non-skid would not have cracked unless there was some impact, or at least lots of motion, more than just excess gel coat crazing.
In this case, the non-skid is gelcoat just to be clear. Once a crack starts, it will just continue where ever there is flex. And I think the issue is just flex. However Marty has made a comment that should be checked. Check rigging tension. I don't think so, but worth a look.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 01:46   #17
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty9876 View Post
If the cracks were just by the chainplates I could understand that. The cracks in the middle/aft of the mast where the lines run under the cover plate (?not sure what to call that) have me confused. Indications of the entire deck flexing?

I'm starting to think the rig might be too tight. B&R rig, not really sure how to tell. The mast definitely has some rack in it.

Too tight of rig, causes extra load on the deck, caused stress cracks. One theory anyways. I can't image the boat was sailed hard but impossible to say I guess.
Same Caveats as before, impossible for me to judge via the Internet........but just to point out that if the Boat is a bit too lightly designed / built (for the use she has had) then this could apply in many places / all over, so that the cracks / flexing aft of the mast are not neccessarily directly related to those near the Chainplates, save for them sharing the same build and subject to the same use.....some of the cracks could even be the result of too many 250Lb (Kilo ) crew onboard

One thing to also bear in mind is the impact of all of this on resale value / ease of resale.......their may be no problem in living with things as they are, but when it comes to resale it may be off putting for future punters........

If it was me, I would be unlikely to buy - unless a very tempting price that I felt I could re-sell at without doing any major repairs.

BTW I would not expect a Surveyor to come up with a Magic answer to say it is 100% ok.....
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 03:45   #18

Sorry, I hit the enter key by mistake on my last message. I tried to edit my post, but went over the 30 minute time restriction, so I am typing this for a second time!
Stress cracks around a chain plate are ALWAYS a concern to me. This is a highly loaded area and indicates movement. Further investigation is needed to determine if the cracks go into the laminate. This is done by grinding away the gel coat to expose the laminate. Many times tapping with a hammer will not be able to detect how deep the cracks are, but it should not be assumed that they are just in the gel coat. Unfortunately, grinding is usually not an option before purchase, so the repairs should be figured into your purchase price.
Just last week I had the opportunity to observe some grinding at cracks along a chine on a catamaran. The cracks did extend into the laminate on this boat and this will be an expensive repair, as the cracks extend for over 20 feet on each hull.
Bottom line is don't ignore the cracks.
My 2 cents,
Brian
amarinesurveyor is offline   Reply With Quote