Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2019, 10:31   #1

Boat: Pearson 323
Strongest motor/hand crank for sewing machine (Pfaff 130)

Hey seamsters,

I got a lovely old Pfaff a while back on Craigslist, and stitched up a few seams that were coming undone on the jib. Unfortunately, the motor wasn't really up to the task, and I spent a good amount of my time hauling on the smooth wheel that's built into the machine. I'd like to get a stronger motor and/or a proper handcrank with a free-spinning handle. Most motors I see online only go up to 1.5 amps. But surely there must be a difference in torque between brands. Are they like diesels, where there's a trade-off between torque and RPMs? I'd go in for high-torque, low-rpm.

TLDR: asking for suggestions on motor replacement and crank attachment for Pfaff 130.

Thanks(for)giving advice.
Cheers!
Santiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2019, 11:02   #2

Boat: Southwind 21 et al.
Re: Strongest motor/hand crank for sewing machine (Pfaff 130)

Hello S,
Some of those older machines can really go when used with an upgraded motor and table. I am not 100% sure about that mandrel in the back, might be acting as a turning point and reduction for the drive.

A Sewing Life: Pfaff 130 in an Industrial Table
Old 27-11-2019, 12:41   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi,

I used to have a Pfaff 130, and I had a spoked wheel for it, with a hand crank. I did not ever have a stronger motor for it. I think that's a good idea, but you will still be limited by how much fabric you can get under the presser foot and how much will fit through the throat. Use #18 (110) needles, for sail or canvas work, and don't use reverse; it will sew most stuff for a boat. Save the light weight balance wheel: the machine will sew anything you want, given the right size needles, including clothes.

I was able to sew a sun strip on a friend's genoa, with Jim turning the crank--we did this on a lawn ashore, as it is often difficult to find enough flattish space for sewing projects.

Ann
Old 27-11-2019, 22:26   #4

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

All I know about sewing machines is my Mum's treadle Singer sewing machine so I'm out of my depth here.

Would it be possible to rig up a rechargeable drill to provide the power?
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2019, 09:02   #5

Boat: Brewer 44' Steel

I have a 130 and unless motor is shot it’s not the problem. They make a hand crank but it is separate from motor driven wheel so it is a pain to keep changing them. I would line up your machine well and find an old Pfaff motor. The existing motor easily does 6 layers of canvas over that you need hand assist. I made a small hand assist by clamping a small wood dowel to the wheel.

Tags
motor, sewing machine