Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2022, 17:24   #1

Boat: 44ft mono hull
Submerged outboard

Hi

I have a 15 horse suzuki 4 stroke with direct injection. Couple of days ago managed to flip the dinghy, outboard was under water for 5 minutes before i got it out, rinsed it, wd40 on all connections, removed sparks and flooded with wd40 before adding oil, emptied crank case, flushed with oil and then refilled. Pumped alcohol through the fuel system and then flushed twice with clean fuel.

Let it bake in the sun for a few hours and tried turning it over but didnt fire after many attemps. Let it bake another 6 hiurs and then over night. First thimg the morning it fired up on the first pull. So I let it idle for 20 minutes at which point it sounded much better so revved it up and let it sit at the limiter for a couple of minutes and then took it for a spin.

Ran at half throttle in gear for a few minutes and then died. Since then it will start on the first pull but die within 2 seconds.

Any advice on what I could now try?
Olly75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2022, 20:29   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: Submerged outboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olly75 View Post
Hi

I have a 15 horse suzuki 4 stroke with direct injection. Couple of days ago managed to flip the dinghy, outboard was under water for 5 minutes before i got it out, rinsed it, wd40 on all connections, removed sparks and flooded with wd40 before adding oil, emptied crank case, flushed with oil and then refilled. Pumped alcohol through the fuel system and then flushed twice with clean fuel.

Let it bake in the sun for a few hours and tried turning it over but didnt fire after many attemps. Let it bake another 6 hiurs and then over night. First thimg the morning it fired up on the first pull. So I let it idle for 20 minutes at which point it sounded much better so revved it up and let it sit at the limiter for a couple of minutes and then took it for a spin.

Ran at half throttle in gear for a few minutes and then died. Since then it will start on the first pull but die within 2 seconds.

Any advice on what I could now try?
Does it have a magneto under the flywheel?
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2022, 21:53   #3

Boat: Island Packet 40

Drain the carby bowl??
Old 29-11-2022, 10:29   #4

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

What kind of fuel pump does it use? Check all electrical connections. Maybe disassemble and clean. ?
Old 29-11-2022, 10:33   #5
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
Does it have a magneto under the flywheel?
Exactly, for me it was the coils. By the time I found these, they had to be replaced.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outboard