Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2024, 19:31   #1

Suggestion for a temp fix of a leak - jib track

I have a ‘86 Cal 33 which I’ve had for a few years now and I thought I finally got all my leaks shored up however this season I’ve finally identified the last leak. It’s my jib track. Unfortunately it’s going to be a chore to get access to the backside to rebed the track and there’s a better than not chance I’m going to destroy the vinyl headliner that has to be removed. All that to say is that I’m looking for a temp fix to get me to Haulout in the fall.

I consider silicone or caulk to mitigate the leak but feel that would be too messy and challenging to apply neatly without interfering with the jib car. Does anyone know of a spray or something that can be brushed to the track to deck connection that will still allow the jib car to slide?
Cdn_bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 20:59   #2

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom
Re: Suggestion for a temp fix of a leak - jib track

Water tends to sit forever in the countersinks where the bolts are.
Over time it can start to weep down along the bolts to the interior.
Far too often those tracks are installed where those doing the work are unwilling to have lots of sealant on the shanks and under the heads of the bolts, (doing so adds an immense amount of "clean-up work" after installation).
Cleaning squeezed out sealants out of the countersinks and off of the bolt heads and track is miserable work.
That said, if you can feel the bolts/nuts under the headliner you can make a small hole in the headliner to insert a socket wrench.
After all is redone, a nicely varnished strip of teak can be installed over the line of holes in the headliner.
If the headliner is ever re-done, a zipper along that line is not such a bad idea, or alternately, a fixed strip of teak over the headliner in which the bolts protrude from and use acorn nuts.
I know of no product which can be brushed on from the outside which will stop a leak that's coming from a bolt hole.
PS, Do Not use anything with silicone, if you do, nothing will ever stick again to the area that the silicone has contacted without massive efforts of abrading/cleaning.
Old 04-07-2024, 05:05   #3

Boat: Farr 43`

Spray on rubber compound.
Comes in a rattle can.
As seen on TV
Works for a while.

On T track get all the gunk out from under the T.
A tooth from a circular saw blade welded to an old screw driver works well.
Rucksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 06:18   #4

Boat: Oyster 435

I'd give this a try.
https://www.amazon.com/Captain-Tolle.../dp/B003T6EJ9A
The only good way is to remove the track and rebed.
Tsuru is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jib