Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2020, 15:34   #1

Boat: Tashiba-31
Suggestions for insulation

I live aboard and have had issues in the vberth with condensation. I'm thinking of adding some kind of insulation in this area to help. I'm not sure I want to put it on the hull itself as I'm concerned with moisture and mold forming between it and the hull. I was thinking of adding some kind of insulation to the bottoms of the v-berth opening panels. The idea is to prevent condensation from forming under the mattress. I use Hypervent under the mattress now and it does a great job of keeping the mattress dry, but I do feel moisture under the Hypervent at times.

Suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vberth1.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	225359  
dmksails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2020, 16:41   #2

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: Suggestions for insulation

I used 1" Styrofoam, but I have a planked hull and the foam is 1" away from the planking. I vent my bilges and don't have a moisture problem. Air moves in the gap.
All the steam from your showers, cooking, and moisture from breathing stays in the boat unless vented. If your boat is closed up tight, the insulation probably won't stop the moisture. I run a stove 24/7 and have below 50% humidity, usually between 35-40 even in the rain or fog. Any kind of vented combustion heat changes the air.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2020, 05:39   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

However you arrange it, it's going to end up being closed cell foam. If you glue flexible foam to the fiberglass, I don't think you'll have condensation behind it, because not enough moist air will get between the foam and the fiberglass.

We use a small dehumidifier with a 1/4" hose running from its tank to a basin to keep the humidity down. We've had no problem with mildew, even with two living aboard.

See:
https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Breeze-El...dDbGljaz10cnVl
Old 18-10-2020, 06:29   #4

Just a point to ponder before gluing the foam on. I'm not disagreeing with the use of foam, but do consider that, if later on you come up with a different solution, or need to remove the foam for some reason, it's absolute hell to remove the glue from whatever it's stuck to. So just maybe consider that the glue option shouldn't be taken so lightly.
Singularity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2020, 06:49   #5

Boat: Sundeer 64' ketch

I wouldn’t consider gluing insulation to the hull. Lots of reasons, agree with closed cell foam as it can’t suck up humidity and condense into water- resulting in weight and mold and loss of insulation R factor - if that happened. I’d make snap in removable panels if you need to stabilize insulation positions.
The first thing is to not crawl into or on the bunk without first taking a fresh water shower if possible, if not, have a special washable blanket or covering that keeps salt from your body, hair and clothing from contacting the bedding. On ocean crossing and extended cruising we’ve learned that saltwater saturated clothing, beddings never dry out- always are moist and thus feel damp and colder in higher latitudes, sticky in hot climes.
I’d start with new mattress and as much ventilation as I could get.
Nibiruwayne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insulation