Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2019, 13:11   #1

Boat: Catalina 36
Suggestions for pad on outside of icebox cover

Hi, in my constant pursuit to improve my icebox (converted to freezer with spillover to refrigeration) efficiency, I was thinking on adding some type of closed cell pad to lay over icebox cover & surrounding counter top. I have already done as much as i can to add insulation elsewhere around the icebox.
My first thought was to just buy one of those 1/2 inch thick closed cell foam yoga mats to simply lay over the counter and icebox cover. in the past I have used a couple of folded up beach blankets which does seam to help. The idea is that it is simple to lift the padding up to grab the ice box cover to lift and then it flops back down to cover up when you close the ice box lid. I don't want to add any more insulation to the interior of the ice box. I have added rubber padding seals to the edge of the lid covers which does help, but the counter/lid-cover do not close snugly together (I think there may be some warping and the seals also raise the lid slightly higher than the surrounding counter-top.
Any better ideas than buying a closed cell foam yoga mat would be greatly welcome - specifically is there a better insulating mat that would be flexible enough to allow you to flex the pad to lift the ice box cover and then have it flop back down?
mikeo16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 14:03   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Suggestions for pad on outside of icebox cover

Years ago, we had a little Adler Barbour fridge, and I cut a 1/2" closed cell foam backpackers mat to fit the top of the freezer section. It worked well and was easy to clean. I'd think the yoga mat would work, too, for a top cover. I'd sew a loop through it, for pulling it up, the foam will close around the thread that you use.

Something that may really help, though, is for you to find some thin, closed cell type gasket material from a gasket place, and use that to replace the fridge gasket that you used for the lid that holds it proud. My guess is that keeping the lid all the way down will also help. And, if air's getting in there, it will also cut down a bit on the moisture entering from the air, even when it's not open.

Ann
Old 10-06-2019, 18:00   #3

Thanks Ann for your insight. I think you may be on to real root cause in that the cover seal is too thick - will re-evaluate this.
Thanks again
Old 17-06-2019, 12:51   #4

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

A few years back I bought HDPE (cutting board material) from Tap Plastics as my sink and stove covers. They work great although they show the knife cuts which some may consider unsightly. The stove cover slides to sit atop my chart table while cooking. I have a small piece of yoga mat material on the chart table to keep stuff from sliding around while on the go... I think a piece of HDPE with a yoga mat material backer would provide insulation and additional food prep space.
Old 17-06-2019, 15:07   #5

Thanks Jim , I like the idea of the hdpe which would work to hold down the padding and ensure a tight fit - much appreciated

Tags
icebox