Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2017, 16:36   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Sunbrella

I'm getting all exterior canvas replaced and have a couple of questions.
First has anyone used Sunbrella plus? The waterproof stuff with I believe a vinyl inside layer, if so how does it hold up over time?
Secondly is there different weights of Sunbrella? If so is the heavy stuff 12 oz?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2017, 16:51   #2

Boat: valiant 40
Re: Sunbrella

Just about to do the same job in Thailand so will follow this thread with interest
cheers for starting it.
Old 30-09-2017, 17:00   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I don't know about Thailand, but when I was in Korea years ago, you could get really great tailor made clothing for very little money, labor was first class and cheap.
Best though if you supplied your own cloth and especially thread, the inexpensive Korean thread fell apart rapidly.
I bet there may be knock off Sunbrella and fake tenara thread too?
Old 30-09-2017, 17:15   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I'm getting all exterior canvas replaced and have a couple of questions.
First has anyone used Sunbrella plus? The waterproof stuff with I believe a vinyl inside layer, if so how does it hold up over time?
Secondly is there different weights of Sunbrella? If so is the heavy stuff 12 oz?
I have used 11 oz Sunbrella Plus. I did not have a choice of weight when purchasing, but I would not want it any thicker. The width will tell you which version you are buying. The 11 oz is 152 cm wide and the 12 oz is apparently 203 cm wide. A "furniture" version is also available, which is narrower again (137 cm).

The extra waterproof coating of the Plus version gives it a lighter appearance on the back. It also gums up the needle slightly when sewing. I give the needle an occasional wipe with a tissue sprayed with WD 40 to clean this off, otherwise when using Tenara the thread has a tendency to snap.

The waterproof nature of Sunbrella Plus is excellent. Standard sunbrella will in time completely lose its waterproof ability and will need to be recoated.

Regarding thread, I strongly recommend using Tenara. The extra cost of the thread is negligible compared to the cost of the fabric and the labour involved. It will mean the fabric will never need resewing. It comes in several weights. I use V92 when making outdoor upholstery, boom tents, winch covers, etc.

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2017, 17:19   #5
cruiser

Boat: 1989 Jeanneau Voyage 11.20

From what I just read about it (we are also getting new canvas), it still isn't water "proof", but is supposed to be more water resilient than the regular Sunbrella marine grade fabric.
CaptsWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2017, 17:25   #6

Boat: valiant 40

Quote:
I don't know about Thailand, but when I was in Korea years ago, you could get really great tailor made clothing for very little money, labor was first class and cheap.
Best though if you supplied your own cloth and especially thread, the inexpensive Korean thread fell apart rapidly.
I bet there may be knock off Sunbrella and fake tenara thread too?
Undoubtedly there are fakes but there are some reputable suppliers as well
and I doubt the price for the work is much cheaper.
Old 30-09-2017, 17:39   #7

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

FWIW: As we have posted before, we've switched to WeatherMax instead of Sunbrella. it is a Dacron based material, stronger, lighter and way more chafe resistant than SB, and here in Oz, a bit less expensive. Possible drawback is less UV resistant, but so far we've not had any issues with this, and our oldest project using it is around 5 years now. Currently using it for: weather cloths, boom bag, UV strip on genoa, cockpit awning and dinghy chaps. Time will tell, but so far it is a clear winner in our applications.

Jim
Old 30-09-2017, 20:05   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I think since I plan on the tropics and it's likely more available. I'll stay with Sunbrella.
I just didn't know how well the plus would hold up, how much heavier it was etc.
I like the water resistance of it as my old Sunbrella isn't even close to water proof, it's pretty good for a month or two after 303, but after a month or so it doesn't stop much water at all.
Old 30-09-2017, 22:04   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
I think since I plan on the tropics and it's likely more available. I'll stay with Sunbrella.
I just didn't know how well the plus would hold up, how much heavier it was etc.
I like the water resistance of it as my old Sunbrella isn't even close to water proof, it's pretty good for a month or two after 303, but after a month or so it doesn't stop much water at all.
Sunbrella Plus is not signifcantly heavier. The coating applied seems to be sprayed on and adds stiffness rather than much weight.

I had the same experience as you with plain Sunbrella when it aged. In time it completely lost its ability to resist water and applications of 303 were short lasting.

The seams are the only thing that leak water with Sunbrella Plus. In the "old days" when cotton thread was used, it would swell and fill the gap made by the needle. Cotton coated dacron was produced for this reason. Its life is, however, short in the tropics. Dacron (=polyester PETE) and Tenara (=PTFE) do not absorb water so seams will leak. The problem is worse with Tenara as a larger needle is used.

Edited to add: I looked up Dacron and found it is not actually polyester as I had always thought. It is polyethylene terephthalate. Its water absorption is listed as 0.16.

I have not bothered to treat seams, but I have heard that beeswax rubbed along the seam will fix the problem.

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2017, 22:47   #10
cruiser

WeatherMax is a far superior product. Waterproof, lightweight and tight as a drum after 6 years. No thread issues.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2017, 23:03   #11

Boat: Outbound 44

Stamoid will last many years longer in the tropics than Sunbrella.
Old 01-10-2017, 17:54   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Sunbrella

Seam treating is easy, at least it is on tents. You get a little bottle that has a roller in it like roll on deodorant, then simply roll the sealer onto the seam. It dries like thin clear paint, but does seal the seams of a nylon tent.

I'll ask about Weathermax and Stamoid, not sure if they will use either.
Most will Sunbrella of course as it's a known name, and people will call any cloth meant for use outside Sunbrella just like they will call any adhesive bandage a band aid, so you have to be real sure your getting what you want.
Old 01-10-2017, 18:23   #13

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Amature canvas guy here...done a lot for self and a couple of friends. I refuse to sew anything that has a vinyl coating. The needle holes are unforgiving if mis-sewing occurs.

Just replaced all my canvas this year (Sunbrella). The old stuff lasted 11 years and it was the tops that eventually failed with mold. Sides were still usable. No more tops to worry about, now have hardtops. I also used a header for my curtains so I can drop/lower a curtain without needing smiles.
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 21:08   #14

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Stamoid is a vinyl product. It's good for about 10 yrs (what the guarantee says). Some shops don't like to work with it because it has no bias stretch. The heavier weight (it comes in two weights) lasts longer. One would want to use ptfe thread with it, just like the WeatherMax and the Sunbrella. I have made only one item with it, my hatch dodger, and it has held up well, with little fading.

If you or your wife liked doing sewing, working with any of the above fabrics can be rewarding, and save $$. Fwiw, sewing is less difficult than being a fine mechanic.

Ann