Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2013, 09:45   #1

Boat: Vic Franck Delta 50
Superhydrophobic Coating?

Hi...

This came gallivanting across my Facebook wall today, and half-joking, I commented that it would make interesting bottom paint. Thoughts? It might have interesting hydrodynamic effects at the micro-level, not to mention anti-fouling properties. Or maybe it's insane in this environment.

I haven't dug into the MSDS to see what nasties are involved, nor even studied their application notes. Was surprised to see no search results on the product name here, so I'm curious what other folks think.

Ever Dry | UltraTech International Inc.

(I'm nearing a haulout with 3-year-old Micron 66 on my steel hull, so like every other suffering sailor contemplating waving fronds of biology and related regulatory changes, I'm looking at every option!)

Cheers,
Steve
Old 07-02-2013, 10:11   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: Superhydrophobic Coating?

Per MSDS: Top coat.

Quote:
12. ECOLOGICAL INFORMATION
Environmental Fate: When released into the soil, this material is expected to readily biodegrade. When released into the soil, this material is expected to leach into groundwater. When released into the soil, this material is expected to quickly evaporate. When released into water, this material is expected to readily biodegrade. When released to water, this material is expected to quickly evaporate. This material has a log octanol-water partition coefficient of less than 3.0. This material is not expected to significantly bioaccu- mulate. When released into the air, this material may be moderately degraded by reaction with photochem- ically produced hydroxyl radicals. When released into the air, this material may be moderately degraded by photolysis. When released into the air, this material is expected to be readily removed from the atmosphere by wet deposition.
Environmental Toxicity: This material is not expected to be toxic to aquatic life. The LC50/96-hour values for fish are over 100 mg/l.
Quote:
13. DISPOSAL CONSIDERATIONS
Whatever cannot be saved for recovery or recycling should be handled as hazardous waste and sent to a RCRA approved incinerator or disposed in a RCRA approved waste facility. Processing, use or contamination of this product may change the waste manage- ment options. State and local disposal regulations may differ from federal disposal regu- lations. Dispose of container and unused contents in accordance with federal, state and local requirements.
It seems to have a lot of acetone 97% and silica 3% with a <1% proprietary additive, which is their secret. But I would say it's more toxic on it's installation then its cured state.

The bottom coat is basically a paint by it's ingredients with the same 12 & 13 info.

Another question would be removal of the stuff.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:51   #3
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"this material is expected to"
That puts me off. Expected? That means they actually don't know what the stuff is or does or how it travels and they probably don't really know what the magic ingredient DOES in general. Expected to evaporate OR biodegrade OR trickle down, and again, they just don't know which?
Here, try this pink nail polish instead. I expect it will scare the barnacles away.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 13:13   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"this material is expected to"
That puts me off. Expected? That means they actually don't know what the stuff is or does or how it travels and they probably don't really know what the magic ingredient DOES in general. Expected to evaporate OR biodegrade OR trickle down, and again, they just don't know which?
Here, try this pink nail polish instead. I expect it will scare the barnacles away.
That seems to be MSDS-speak... I Googled "MSDS expected" and there are about 3 million hits, such as this from Proctor and Gamble: "Ingestion: This product is expected to have a low order of toxicity"

Kind of like patent-speak: a plurality of wheels
Old 07-02-2013, 13:23   #5

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

This type of material is not unique - there are lots of formulations. Use it on your electrical connections.

There is a company using on electronics. Just send in your iPhone and without a case it is permanently sealed away from moisture. You can even operate the phone underwater.

Make Your iPhone Waterproof With Liquipel | TechHive
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 14:00   #6

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Microship View Post
That seems to be MSDS-speak... I Googled "MSDS expected" and there are about 3 million hits, such as this from Proctor and Gamble: "Ingestion: This product is expected to have a low order of toxicity"

Kind of like patent-speak: a plurality of wheels
The MSDS links were at the bottom of the page/link you supplied.

Ever Dry | UltraTech International Inc.
Old 07-02-2013, 15:00   #7
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Micro-
It might be MSDS-speak, but it still falls in the category of "BS & FUD".
Like when you see a sign in the store window that says "SALE! UP TO 50% OFF!" When I see the "UP TO" I know that means there's one item in the store that has discounted that much, and they're just ashamed to say what the bulk of it is.
"BUY ONE, GET 2ND AT 50% OFF!" sounds a lot better than "Buy two, get 25% off" which is what that BS really translates into.

I don't buy it. Any of it. There's too much BS & FUD passed around, and we need to go back to fine old Yankee traditions, like tar and feathers, rail riding, and keel hauling, all of which can do wonders for truth in advertising.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 19:52   #8
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Microship View Post
Hi...

This came gallivanting across my Facebook wall today, and half-joking, I commented that it would make interesting bottom paint. Thoughts? It might have interesting hydrodynamic effects at the micro-level, not to mention anti-fouling properties. Or maybe it's insane in this environment.

I haven't dug into the MSDS to see what nasties are involved, nor even studied their application notes. Was surprised to see no search results on the product name here, so I'm curious what other folks think.
I think if it had possibilities as an anti fouling coating, the manufacturer would market it that way. But they don't.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 19:55   #9

Very true, they don't... it was really more a bit of curiosity on my part, not an attempt to question any claims. Seems like fun and useful stuff; my first thought was how it would affect hydrodynamics, then I started wondering about long-term antifouling properties.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 07-02-2013, 20:07   #10

When released into water, this material is expected to readily biodegrade. When released to water, this material is expected to quickly evaporate.

Sounds great! So long as you never put your boat in the water.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 20:09   #11

I think what remains a little unclear there is the difference between "released," as a liquid, and "exposed," as a coating. One could say the same thing about any antifouling, using that term.

Really, just wondered if anyone has played with the stuff...

Cheers,
Steve
Old 07-02-2013, 20:33   #12

Boat: Formosa 51 Ketch
Send a message via Skype™ to rcmpegasus
Several studies are underway on the use of these type of coatings to minimize biofouling. Initial tests look pretty good as long as there is water flow across the surface periodically. This stuff is getting to be lower cost all the time, two years ago getting a small panel coated was $100k, now less than $10k.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:44   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Laurent Giles Salar 40

More recent info on this stuff including first pricing info I've seen: Next Time Your Mom Says Don't Go Out in The Rain, Spray Yourself With This : Krulwich Wonders... : NPR
chris07732 is offline   Reply With Quote