Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2023, 07:21   #1

T-track install

Hello everyone! I am reinstalling t-track for my jib sheets, the track is about 12' long and straight. The track will need to be bent to fit during installation, what is the best way of sealing the bolt holes and track to not make a big mess while bending track to fit, butyl tape or 3m uv4000. I want to insulate the ss bolts from the aluminum and seal for leaks. Thank you!!
johnmwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 07:44   #2

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!
Re: T-track install

Butyl tape ,I have bent them like this, fixing the 2 screws in the center, the tolerance between screw and hole in the deck if it is minimal much better, making a mark at the end of the track with a pencil depending on the angle you are looking for, go bending screw by screw, ie, bend, mark,make the hole, tighten and go for the next.

When you have all done , Butyl works well , if you put a little tefgel or similar on the head of the screw better.
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 07:53   #3

+1 Butyl tape
George_SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 08:28   #4

Good quality butyl tape is a good answer for sealing the deck penetrations. If it is a cored deck be sure to properly isolate the core material from the bolt holes with epoxy. Countersink the holes under the track a bit to give the butyl tape someplace to squeeze into, and when you tighten, hold the bolt still, and turn the nut inside.

Butyl tape is not going to be the best solution for isolating screws from track. It MIGHT work, but in places with very tight fits I don't trust it. Tef-gel or similar is the right answer there.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 09:06   #5

Thank you!!
Old 31-08-2023, 19:04   #6

Thank you for all of your suggestions!! I have machine threaded bolts but no access to the nuts from below, is butyl tape still a good idea? Should I use butyl and maybe some epoxy on the threads with ref gel or lanolin to insulate the bolts from the aluminum toe rail? Thank you!!