Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2013, 06:20   #1

Boat: Island Packet 370
Taking on Water

Hello We are moving our new to us Island Packet 370 down the ICW. We just bought the boat this summer and have on very limited time sailing it.

At any rate we left Annapolis a few days ago motoring South first day was fine. Second day out the Bay was choppy as we motoring south. At this point we noticed the bilge pump was running more than normal. We set the pump on manual and started watching bilge it seemed to we could pump a bit of water out every hour or so. We anchored and checked all thru hulls engine hoses, shaft stuffing ect could not find any signs of water.

Next day had the same drill only in one 15 minute interval we took on quite a lot of water. Filled lower bilge sump and took electric several minutes to get it out. We then knew we definitely have a problem we stopped engine and again checked all all over boat no sign of water.

We then went to a yard in Norfolk and have checked the boat over completely. Setting at dock or motoring in calm conditions bilge pump is just running once per day. We at first suspected the engine shaft seal, but watching it while motoring it only producing a few drops as expected .

We have also been watching the rudder post seal, it appears a little corroded like it could have been leaking but watching closely under way no water.

So while at dock our motoring in calm water no water i.e....one bilge run per day. But in rougher conditions we defiantly took water on.

We have tore the boat apart and crawled all over trying to find this. Does any one have any ideas?

Thanks
Bob
Sea Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 06:27   #2

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence
Re: Taking on Water

You have probably checked, but could it be your fresh water system flexing at a connection and leaking at a hose clamp? Since you seem not to have a external problem identified, look internally too. Just thinking of the obvious.
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 06:27   #3

Boat: Caliber 40LRC

Only while motoring or also when just sailing? Could be a leaky raw water pump.

Is the water fresh or salt?
TKR on a Boat Website
Tim R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 06:30   #4

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Rudder shaft seal seems a possibility - the boat squats under motor and submerges that more.

Did you check the engine raw water pump for a leak from either the cover or the shaft seal?

Is the bilge pump outlet just above the water line and able to siphon back in?

Was water trapped somewhere in the floor pan/grid and spilled out to the bilge when the boat is moving more? Check limber holes in all compartments?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 06:36   #5
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Visually finding a slow leak can be difficult. A trick I've used is to wrap toilet paper around suspected leak locations. Then check back later and see which ones are soggy.
Old 23-09-2013, 06:48   #6

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

when sailing or motoring is there the possibility of the water coming back through the bilge pump overboard hose?
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 07:27   #7

Boat: Traditional 30

Baby powder will be you new best friend. Sprinkle it in all areas you think water may be penetrating. Go for a motor/sail. The result will be water marks in the affected area. Plus the boat will smell nicer too
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 08:35   #8

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

If your anchor locker drains into the bilge, and takes on water from the hawse hold, that could account for it. Otherwise, as suggested above, baby powder and toilet paper may help you find it.

We have also experienced a leaking water strainer, look for salt crystals around it. The O-rings get hard and less likely to seal properly as they age.

Ann
Old 23-09-2013, 08:43   #9

Thanks for the quick and helpful replies ! This forum is great!

It is salt water we are dealing with.

We have opened up the engine compartment while running and checked hoses and pump. All looks good there.

The bilge drain hose siphoning does seem like it might fit. But it appears as if the water is coming from the back of the boat. We have looked in all the many bilge compartments and from our guess it must be flowing forward to main bilge sump. But we will watch the bilge pump hose! Not ruling anything out.

Rudder post seems most likely especially since there is some minor corrosion around it. However we can not seem to make it leak or show signs of moisture. We have motored at full power making the stern squat as much as we can while working rudder back and forth. While first mate was watching the post and seal, she saw nothing. Wouldn't you think a few drops should have appeared if that is the problem?

We are at Elizabeth City waiting to head south down the Albemarle Sound. Pretty good north wind here today so waiting for better conditions to cross. Since that water seemed to come in kind of fast at one time, I am a little concerned about this crossing. But with all the motoring since Norfolk we have seen nothing in the way of water.

Going to go get baby powder and also going to use the toilette paper idea.

Hud I especially was glad to see you comment, this boat is probably very similar to your IP380. Some would say the just made a few unimprovments on this model!

At any rate any more comments or ideas would be greatly appreciated. This is our first sailboat and our first trip! Thanks again!
Old 23-09-2013, 08:51   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
If your anchor locker drains into the bilge, and takes on water from the hawse hold, that could account for it. Otherwise, as suggested above, baby powder and toilet paper may help you find it.

We have also experienced a leaking water strainer, look for salt crystals around it. The O-rings get hard and less likely to seal properly as they age.

Ann
Ann, I thought about that especially since I am not 100 percent sure the anchor locker hatch was dogged down. But we are pretty sure the water came from the stern area. But again will not rule anything out. Also will more careful to hatch that hatch!
Old 23-09-2013, 08:52   #11
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Taking on Water

Check your Vetus box (if you have one) for a split... similar happened to me and drove me nutz... even then only spotted it by chance... also your cockpit drain hoses at the thro' hulls...

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 09:05   #12

the bilge pump hose could be it... is there a check valve or a loop prior to the outlet? If this is it and it's a decent size hose... it will be more than a little bit... it'll fill the bilge to the floor boards pretty quickly.
Sounds alot like the rudder shaft seal to me. Try observing it under full power when the boat is squatted.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 09:08   #13

Sea Lyon, If you havent found anything yet, you might try pulling up the floor boards so that you can see where the water is coming into the sump. By that, I mean, coming from forward of the sump or aft. At least , then you could eliminate major areas of the boat. Take a sea sick pill, since staring into a bilge for an hour or so underway can do bad things to a stomach. Another thought is, Do you have 2 heads? The one you use regularly would be easy to spot as the culprit, but if you have a second one that may not be used, or is used as a wet locker, it might not be noticed when leaking. In going back over this thread, I agree that back flow from the bilge pump outlet could be the problem. Do the outlets have a vented loop that is as high above the waterline as possible? Good Luck, and keep us posted. ____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 09:43   #14

Boat: 2011 Hunter 50

Also check your cockpit drain outlets. Sqatting or following seas can put these under water and a loose connection could allow water to enter.
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 09:54   #15

How about the hull/deck joint? In a marina you could use a hose to spray water at various angles against the joint, angles you don't get during a typical rain but would get from the sea coming up underneath the rail.
SeaSloth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water