Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2012, 06:24   #31

Boat: searching...
Re: Tank guages - latest and greatest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I have been using a spiral type tank gauge for a long time. They are relatively inexpensive, simple and reliable. You can also buy a remote gauge that measures fuel level by the resistance at the sender.

Rochester makes all types of them.

I have two of them for fuel and water. Then I did some research as I was not willing to open the the tank access anymore to check (my tanks are above the bilge).
After several discussion with cruisers Tank Tender was my choice. No electric, literally nothing to break and easy mounting (just drill a tiny hole on top of the tank - no cut out!). Its simply the best choice if you need a gauge.

But then I realized something: Even with a fancy gauge, its good seaman ship to check the bilge once a day. Which means I open that hatch in my cabin sole daily anyway. Doing so, there is no need for any fancy and expensive gauge anymore - I still read my manual gauge as above, and it works flawless.

So if your tanks are in the bilge, think about that as well. Otherwise Tank Tender would be a clear winner!
swisscraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 09:00   #32

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
The tank tender system is the most accurate, reliable and easy to install system.
It's expensive,but will measure multiple tanks at little extra cost.
It also requires calibration and a proper understanding of its working principles (comparative air pressures). The best part, however, is that it is non-electric, has few moving parts and the sensor tubes do not usually make contact with the fuel or the water or the head tank contents.

I have also seen the Tank Tenders on boats where all the systems are visibly better thought out and executed than on production boats. In other words, I associate it, rightly or wrongly, with the choices made by sailors who have the real-life experience I am trying to emulate.

So I will be going for this shortly as I am upgrading my tankage. Just waiting for the Canadian dollar to top out at $1.05 U.S. Roll on, U.S. Mint presses!
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 09:03   #33

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
you'll have to pry my cold dead fingers from my dipsticks. absolutely foolproof. use no power. made spare dispsticks for pennies. but my tanks are very accessible - not everyone's experience....
To be honest, I can get away with this with my keel diesel tanks now, but I plan on putting batteries in a steel frame above their inspection panels, and so the sticks have to be retired!

I do agree that if you have accessible centerline tankage, the stick works. Just don't mix up the fuel stick with the water stick.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2012, 16:55   #34

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExRonin View Post
We have had great success with Maretron ultrasonic NMEA 2000 tank sensors. We replaced a Centroid system with them 2 years ago and they have been reliable for both water and diesel.
I spent a bit of time on this website today. I'd be inclined to use the 'in tank' rod senders. The fact that there is a repair kit available for the outside aluminum stick on strip indicates they may be prone to damage. But the choice would be easy for me... access to the sides of the tanks is not easy.

Comes in a lot cheaper than Tank Tenders too.

Vic

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2012, 17:05   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseMoney View Post
Profile 8 Tank Display from New Providence Marine Systems.
New Providence Marine Tank Monitors & Tank Level Sensors

Solid State Sensors means no moving parts or things getting stuck. The Profile 8 Tank Display is good for up to 8 tanks of your choice. We have it on our boat and we are most satisfied with the product, support and performance.
Oooops!
Correction. It was the New Providence site I spent time on and costs less than Tank Tenders.

The Mareton site looks very sophisticated and I found it difficult to get a feel for their product.
Maybe I should try again.

Vic

Old 20-10-2012, 07:11   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseMoney View Post
I use them for 2 x fresh water, 2 x black water and 2 x diesel fuel tanks. During the past 5 years, I had two other systems and they all gave the one difficulty or another. I've had the Profile 8 system for the past 2 years and not a single problem.
I really like the look of this system but their site recommends Wema senders for diesel tanks.

Are you using the stick-on external sensors, or the in tank rods?
If the rods, did you just use their ones?

I have to go with an in tank system due to lack of access to the tank walls.

It's a choice between Profile 8 and Tank Tenders with a slight preference for Profile 8 because you can see the levels of all the tanks at once.

Decisions, decisions...

Vic

Old 20-10-2012, 17:30   #37

Boat: Sandpiper 565, Tanzer 22, Corbin 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemansailor View Post
I second the WEMA senders and gauges! Great product!
I checked out the web site. Interesting.

I don't think I would use their guages. I'd probably start with an analog panel meter, and hack my own electronics. Maybe a rotary switch to choose among my 4 tanks. Plus the resistance of the sensors is so low, I would not want to keep them energized except when taking a reading. Of coarse the low impedance would make things very robust in a marine environment.

Boulter
Boulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2012, 20:20   #38

Boat: Simonis 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
I really like the look of this system but their site recommends Wema senders for diesel tanks.

Are you using the stick-on external sensors, or the in tank rods?
If the rods, did you just use their ones?

I have to go with an in tank system due to lack of access to the tank walls.

It's a choice between Profile 8 and Tank Tenders with a slight preference for Profile 8 because you can see the levels of all the tanks at once.

Decisions, decisions...

Vic
For fresh water and blackwater, we use the "Standard Length Rod Sensors" as supplied by New Providence Marine - New Providence Marine Tank Monitors & Tank Level Sensors

For the diesel tanks, we use the Model S3U Wema rod sensors as recommended - Fuel Tank Senders, Gas Tank Senders, Water Tank Senders, Holding Tank Senders by WEMA USA, Inc.

The products are compatible, it was easy to install and do the calibration. We previously had analog instruments which gave several problems over the years - sticky needles, needles falling off, etc. In addition, analog instruments take up more space as you need 1 instrument for every tank. The Profile 8 takes up less space, looks neater and works much better for us. Good luck with your choice.
svrevelations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2012, 20:38   #39

I'm refitting an older boat. It currently has a tank tender on it, which I like but I am also a nerd and I'd really like to add NEMA 2k sensors.

I have three steel tanks and a Poly Black water tank. Anything out there less $$ than maretron? (but still reliable?)
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2012, 20:50   #40

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

All I can say is Tank Tenders WORK All the time ! never fail and don't run your batterys down cus ya left it on !! Just my 2 cents
Old 20-10-2012, 20:55   #41

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
For fresh water and blackwater, we use the "Standard Length Rod Sensors" as supplied by New Providence Marine - New Providence Marine Tank Monitors & Tank Level Sensors

For the diesel tanks, we use the Model S3U Wema rod sensors as recommended - Fuel Tank Senders, Gas Tank Senders, Water Tank Senders, Holding Tank Senders by WEMA USA, Inc.
Quite nerdy IMO. No need to mess up a good design with n2k.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2012, 07:33   #42

Here's a link to a tank level sensing approach using pressure gauges and N2K.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post826025

This has worked pretty well for me, and gives me single-screen visibility of all tank levels at both helms. You will see in the thread that I went around in circles a few times with lots of dead ends before finally settling on an approach. Every boat is different and poses different restrictions on what products can work. And every operator has different preferences too, so what worked for me might not be right for you, but hopefully it will provide some ideas and head off some of the dead ends that I ran into.

Peter
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2012, 08:43   #43

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius

So I have a Penta Volvo equipped boat, European. I tried to fix my diesel tank gauges and the first sender I got at Island Water World was from a US manufacturer. I found that the gauge would not read properly the sender with my European gauges. There is some opposite sensors in the US model gauges verse European gauges. My gauge is European. Not sure how it all works. Replaced with the proper sender style and it worked, although I messed it up when adapting the arm. So does anyone know if the WEMA tank senders will work on European type gauges?
landonshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2012, 09:33   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by landonshaw View Post
So I have a Penta Volvo equipped boat, European. I tried to fix my diesel tank gauges and the first sender I got at Island Water World was from a US manufacturer. I found that the gauge would not read properly the sender with my European gauges. There is some opposite sensors in the US model gauges verse European gauges. My gauge is European. Not sure how it all works. Replaced with the proper sender style and it worked, although I messed it up when adapting the arm. So does anyone know if the WEMA tank senders will work on European type gauges?
Yes, there are two different "standards" for senders. The resistance range is different, and they vary reverse from one another. I'd be surprised if Wema doesn't offer both - just ask.
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 05:59   #45
Marine Service Provider

Thanks so much for your comments on our Monitors. We Manufacture ALL our products in house, Made in the USA We try very hard even the customer service 7 days a week when at all possible. Our Monitor panel will read 0-5 volt analog signal which all our sensor are and will ready Ohms senders also.
New Providence Marine/Ferriello Sales LLC.
Again Appreciate your comments. MooseMoney
Again anything you need please feel free to get hold of me