Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2013, 13:05   #1

Boat: 79' Mason 43
Tank Replacement on Hans Christian 43T

I'm looking at a Hans Christian 43T that will probably need a new front water tank (under the V-berth) and a new Diesel tank (100 gal approx (it's the old iron one that needs to come out)). These are both super common problem spots on all older HC's. Has anyone recently done one of these and what did it cost? I've had one recommendation to cut out the front tank and replace it with flexible tanks? Any thoughts on this? Accessibility on both tanks isn't too bad, they will probably need to be cut to come out but I don't see removal to be that bad?

Just looking for educated cost's right now from those who have done it.
capt.cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 13:25   #2

Boat: Tartan 37 #6
Re: Tank Replacement on Hans Christian 43T

For the water tank,rotomoulded poly seem to be the best and Ronco have a good reputation,you will have to find the nearest sized one in their catalog.I got a 45gall forpeak one,about $300 plus shipping. Also, for fuel tanks, Florida Marine Tanks [in NC] custom make to any size,send them a sketch for a quote.
Bruce
steamgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 13:34   #3

Re: Tank Replacement on Hans Christian 43T

I cut the top off my (leaking) fuel tank open and use it for storage. Even in the Sea of Cortez where motoring is king it's been doable. My thoughts are that a fully functioning sailboat with a 100-150 motoring range is perfectly safe at sea. For big crossings I grabbed a panga tank (80 liters for 80 pesos) and discarded it when I got across. It's not ideal, but I wanted to go sailing rather than spend more time f'ing around with the tank.

One day I'll fix it for real. Probably with a bladder strapped into the existing tank. 40 gallons (or so) would be fine for me.

Rebel Heart - Eric's Blog - ten days to go: excellent time to sawzall the fuel*tank

Rebel Heart - Eric's Blog - Futzing with the pony*tank

S/V Tenacious had a failure as well, he helped motivate me to skip trying to fix the tank.

Run For The Border: Tank Update
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men