Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2018, 04:38   #31

Boat: Boreal 52
Re: Tank Tender

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Isolation by oversizing or similar is a good solution, but a lot more involved than a bit of tef gel.

I think the fact these are diesel tanks probably helps eliminate the corrosion issue...no salt water normally present.
I agree, probably not much risk of corrosion for diesel tanks. I'll be using the Tank Tender for diesel, as well as fresh, grey, and black water tanks, so corrosion might be more likely.
svbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2018, 04:41   #32

On my current boat, I use sight tubes for both diesel tanks, works great. On new boat, though, all tanks are below floor, no way to access sight tubes, so some sort of gauge will be best. Either that or dip sticks.
Old 29-10-2018, 04:48   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
That seems like an awful lot of work. Since most of the fuel tank sanders I have seen have a rubber gasket is there really a problem?

Pete
The Tank Tender is a bit different than other senders I've seen.....uses air pressure, and needs to screw these stainless steel fittings directly into a hole in the tank top (or a non metallic bit of rigid mat'l like fiberglass which can be threaded). I think for diesel the Tefgel is the way to go, as Belize says, but for holding tanks, I think you'd still get corrosion between the stainless and aluminum.
Old 29-10-2018, 04:57   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

The Tank Tender is ideal for aluminium boats. No electricity, so no chance of stray current problems.

The tapped fitting used by the Tank Tender is stainless steel, but it is tiny in relation to mass of aluminium. Use some Duralac or Tefgel on the threads and you will not have any problems.

The Tank Tender does not suck liquid up the tube, but blows air down the tube. So there is no greater likelihood of corrosion problems with different liquids.

It is an extremely accurate and reliable system, but is expensive.
noelex 77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2018, 09:48   #35

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post

It is an extremely accurate and reliable system, but is expensive.
Buy once, cry once as the saying goes.

Tank Tender is a very high quality piece of gear. Ive had mine now for over 20 years across 2 boats with almost zero issues. Had to clean some pump seals last year and thats about it.

I dont mind paying for quality.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2018, 09:53   #36

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by svbravo View Post
The Tank Tender is a bit different than other senders I've seen.....uses air pressure, and needs to screw these stainless steel fittings directly into a hole in the tank top (or a non metallic bit of rigid mat'l like fiberglass which can be threaded). I think for diesel the Tefgel is the way to go, as Belize says, but for holding tanks, I think you'd still get corrosion between the stainless and aluminum.
While your at it, I would consider getting rid of any alum waste holding tanks...thats just trouble waiting to happen...tank tender or not.

I had the seams fail on an old alum holding tank years ago, when it was full of course, not pretty. [emoji40]
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2018, 15:07   #37

Thanks for this, Noelex! Hope all's going well with the new boat!!! Cheers.