Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2010, 17:44   #1

Boat: Parkins Herreshoff 28
Tanzer 22 Question: Replacing Centerboard Cable

Going to look at a free tanzer 22 this weekend, yea i know how cheap free boats really are , anyways shes been on the hard for a few years and as has all the pieces. one thing the owner said is the centerboard cable is broken (swing keel) what is the SOP for replacing this, i should be able to figure it out once i look at it i guess.

the other question is what is the general build quality of these boats, i have read pretty favorable reviews online...

thanks guys, ill let you know how this pans out
pressuredrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2010, 19:43   #2

Boat: Tartan 27' - 'Odalisque'
The center board pennant will likely be wire rope that has either chafed through or a fitting has let go somewhere. It sounds to me like a short ride in a travel lift to let the board down change out the pennant and thread it up the trunk.
I'm not so sure what you are going to be able to figure out when you see the boat in person unless there is a snapped end of the cable showing somewhere or if you can somehow drop the board (dig a pit under the boat etc.).
You will need to know what size and kind of wire rope to get, what length, what fittings (swages etc) will be needed to re-attach both ends before you enlist a travel lift.
One thing that will be difficult to check is if there is any chafing at the top of the center board trunk where the pennant goes up into the boat. This is usually caused by the varying angle the line takes through this point as the board is raised and lowered and the angle of attack at this fitting varies somewhat.
A friend at our club has a Tanzer 22' and it is a pretty good sailor for her size. It could make a nice pocket cruiser. I have read similar reviews of the T22 online as well and can honestly say that the T22 keeps up pretty nicely with my Tartan 27' on the race course (PHRF @ 240).
If there is not much else that needs fixing it could potentially be worth your time.
Good luck and let us know how you make out.
CalebD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2011, 04:25   #3

Re: Tanzer 22 Question: Replacing Centerboard Cable

Did you "buy" the free Tanzer22? and what are the particulars on the centerboard repair? I have a similar situation. I appreciate any help. Cable length, size, type, etc. Thanks.

Bill
Raven ccc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
centerboard