Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2022, 21:08   #16

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III
Re: Tartan 33 transom mod

You’ll need a strong beam under the cut out an cross bracing to make the upper ends rigid
I would suggest a call to someone who can do the math
Your boat cut up however you wish
Old 26-04-2022, 04:21   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottorious View Post
Lol. Sorry. I used words like bulkhead and compression load and reinforcement. You responded with a condescending attitude and emojis. It didn't seem as if it warranted a response. Now you seek to confirm your own bias by tagging everyone who agreed with you. So you can collectively trash my idea.

I never suggested I was going to irresponsibly hack apart a beautiful boat. This thread contains 2 examples of successful modification. Apparently other people have thought and succeeded in the same idea. I sought those people but now I'm afraid they won't speak up because you're trolling here and looking to make people feel dumb for having outside the box ideas.

You said a hole would compromise the strength of the transom. Do you always show up in posts to state the obvious? I stated that much in my initial post. You offered nothing else so of course I ignored you.

If you have nothing of value to add you don't have to chime in. Please just scroll on.
Well, yes, I suppose I was confirming my "bias" as you've characterized it, but the collected responses include an accredited surveyor, an engineer and a professional captain and marine mechanic, none of whom are trolls and none absent the understanding of bulkheads, reinforcement and compression loads - all consider such elements regularly but which you seem to be consciously ignoring because of your "great idea".

It would be a travesty, plain and simple, to carve up a boat that way. Especially when you can choose to buy many of a selection of boats out there that have an already-built walk-thu/swim platform/sugar scoop which has been engineered into the design and compression loads appropriately distributed in the build.

Step back and consider which is the the literally ignorant response,
LW77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2022, 06:23   #18
JBP

Boat: Jeanneau Tonic 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Well, Gents,

It's clear this Member wasn't really soliciting advice at all, only seeking someone who would confirm the mutilation plan.
Mutilation plan? He's modifying a sailboat for Pete's sake! If he screws it up, so what? It's not like he's promoting book banning or racial discrimination. There are thousands of abandoned and neglected sailboats which you could go out and save if you feel that strongly about it.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2022, 09:15   #19

Boat: Tartan 33

We have a Tartan 33. I'm in the don't modify it camp. It's a lot of time and effort just to avoid stepping over the transom onto a properly mounted--and relatively inexpensive--swim step.

If you have the time, skill, resources, and professionals to consult it shouldn't be difficult. The loads on the backstay are mitigated by the swept spreaders, and the transom construction is beefy. You'll need to do some math though.

I guess it's a matter of taste, and it's your boat, so do whatever you need to. Still, people are going to roll their eyes and tut-tut when they see you've messed with those S&S lines. It would be like turning an E-Type Jaguar into a hearse.

The stern isn't that wide on a T33. I agree you'd be better off looking at a more modern boat with the features you want. The Beneteau First 36.7 on my dock is a beautiful boat. It has a walk-through transom and a wider stern. I think they go for about $70-90k.
Old 26-04-2022, 10:16   #20

Boat: 1967 cal 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halien View Post
We have a Tartan 33. I'm in the don't modify it camp. It's a lot of time and effort just to avoid stepping over the transom onto a properly mounted--and relatively inexpensive--swim step.

If you have the time, skill, resources, and professionals to consult it shouldn't be difficult. The loads on the backstay are mitigated by the swept spreaders, and the transom construction is beefy. You'll need to do some math though.

I guess it's a matter of taste, and it's your boat, so do whatever you need to. Still, people are going to roll their eyes and tut-tut when they see you've messed with those S&S lines. It would be like turning an E-Type Jaguar into a hearse.

The stern isn't that wide on a T33. I agree you'd be better off looking at a more modern boat with the features you want. The Beneteau First 36.7 on my dock is a beautiful boat. It has a walk-through transom and a wider stern. I think they go for about $70-90k.
A swim step would be the low hanging fruit. Do you happen to have one on your T33? Boarding my cal 34 from the rear swim ladder is always a pain in the rear. The reverse transom of a T33 would be an improvement from the start and a swim platform an even bigger improvement.
scottorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2022, 11:30   #21

Boat: Tartan 33

No. We don't have a swim step. My wife and I are in our sixties; we board from a hard dinghy at the stern quarter, where we keep a roll-up web ladder. It's not perfect, but in the years I've owned the boat we've just gotten on with it. I did add a carbon sprit, though. Priorities I guess.

Are you buying the T33 Beach House? That's a well kept boat. Check out the Tartan 33 Sailboat Owners Group on FB. The owner of Beach House runs that page.
Halien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2022, 11:46   #22

Boat: 1967 cal 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halien View Post
No. We don't have a swim step. My wife and I are in our sixties; we board from a hard dinghy at the stern quarter, where we keep a roll-up web ladder. It's not perfect, but in the years I've owned the boat we've just gotten on with it. I did add a carbon sprit, though. Priorities I guess.

Are you buying the T33 Beach House? That's a well kept boat. Check out the Tartan 33 Sailboat Owners Group on FB. The owner of Beach House runs that page.
No, not buying Beach House but I've definitely followed all the work that went into her. I'm a glutton for projects so I need one a little less perfect.

Did you build the carbon sprit? That's another modification I'm contemplating. What do you fly from it? Would love to see some pictures.
scottorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2022, 12:49   #23

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottorious View Post
Lol. Sorry. I used words like bulkhead and compression load and reinforcement. You responded with a condescending attitude and emojis. It didn't seem as if it warranted a response. Now you seek to confirm your own bias by tagging everyone who agreed with you. So you can collectively trash my idea.

Mr. Scottorious, you asked and she answered, then reinforced her stance by quoting others.

Now, Mr. 50 Posts, one thing I did note that might not be readily apparent is that some or all of those she quoted are extremely sharp concerning yacht systems- an observation I have made after watching them answer probably 5,000 various questions.

Her opinion is that one shouldn't cut the beautiful Tartan 33. The others that she quoted were quite clear their concerns were architectural and safety.

You asked. You got free advice that was excellent advice. Quit whining.
Old 09-05-2022, 07:46   #24

Check out Sailing Totem’s YouTube channel. They just completed a transom rebuild to add swim steps. Very knowledgeable folks who did a good job in a way that did not alter strength of transom. They changed a flat transom to one with molded in steps. They did not do a walk-through.
We added a walk through (drop down on hinge) transom to our steel sailboat but had it done by the original builder.
And it’s steel.
EdenRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 10:27   #25
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Roberts V495

Design already has a split back stay, so you’re good there…….lots of strength in the corners. Simply stay away from the corners/load line from the shrouds, and you should be fine. Better yet, when you rebuild the transom after cutting the door in, do it in a manner that adds strength to the perimeter ie laminate in some plywood ‘ U’s - all appropriately epoxy saturated of course.
- Sawsall with a metal cutting blade does a great job going thru fiberglass…….you’ll likely have the opening cut in an hour. It’ll take a lot longer to fiberglass the doorway in & finish.
And - if the transom flexes an unacceptable degree, you can always glass it back together again.

It’s a fair bit of work to do well…..why don’t you add the platform, use the boat for a bit, and then make the call on adding the transom door? Bolting a couple steps on will be nothing extra if you’re already going inside for the platform bolts.
nofacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 19:58   #26

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

It "can be done." My parents added 3 feet to the back of their boat, in a beautiful extension. A friend added several feet to his boat. Loads can be calculated, designs can be done. One thing that might take more effort and cost than everything leading up to it is making it pretty at the end. You'll have to paint at least the transom, and if you want it to match, it's the entire hull. Same in the cockpit -- you're going to have to somehow finish that mess and make it look pretty. Smoothing and fairing is just getting started.
sailingharry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 09:48   #27

This transom mod is becoming popular on a lot of old boats. I would do it in a heartbeat as long as the design is doable with proper access for added structure and glassing. Some have just added a 3'-4' scoop to the stern to do it. This isn't rocket science but you have to decide if it's beyond your abilities to figure the structural part.
BBill is offline   Reply With Quote