Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2017, 13:05   #1

Boat: Summer Twins 25
Taylor’s Cooker & Heater

I have bought both on the 2nd hand market. Looking online there is not much information on them and how to fit them.
Now I’m led to belief be they are gravity fed and the tank needs to be above the cooker and heater.
Looking through day on google images I have seen a few that are not and they don’t seem to have any electrical pumps to pump up the fuel.
Question 1: Can the tank be bellow and will the pressure from with in the tank push the fuel up? Or does it need to be above?
Question 2: How often do you need to unblock the nipples? I had both working on the cooker then one then that stopped, I think I used to much methylated spirit and the soot blocked them. What’s your experience with them?
philipmclaren1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 13:14   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Taylor’s Cooker & Heater

Mine had a stainless steel 2L tank with pressure gauge and hand pump below the cooker.. pump up to pressure then light the blue touch paper.. most heaters I've seen are the same.. hand pump to pressure then light.. then pump again when pressure drops below a certain point.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 13:24   #3

Boat: Hullmaster 27
Re: Taylor’s Cooker & Heater

I have a taylors 030 Kerosene stove/oven, the tank is installed below the stove, and works just fine ... I keep it pumped up until the pressure gauge just touches the red.

The jets should be self-pricking, just turn the knob all the way to the left and the needle should prick the jet ... but both of mine are broken (and I keep forgetting to order new parts), so I have to unscrew the jet and prick it with a piece of wire. They usually last a couple of weeks before starting to clog up. But ... if you try to light it without properly priming it first, then they will clog up instantly.

My experience is that you can't use too much meths to prime them (apart from having to wait longer) ... it is important to wait until just before the moment the meths burns away completely before trying to light it ... too early and the flame in the priming cup somehow steals the air and it won't burn properly ... too late and the burner starts to cool down, and it won't be hot enough and you'll get a horrid orange flare up and clog the jets.

There's definitely a technique to lighting it, but once going it is a very reliable beast.
Kelkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 14:59   #4

Hi thanks for the reply it has been very useful, I believed now that the self pickers on mine must also be broken.
Can you tell me your procedure on priming, do you use the foam insert? Or do you pour meths straight in to lighting tray? If so how much? I’m looking forward to see the beasts fully functional.
Old 28-12-2017, 15:59   #5

The priming cup has a little pad in it ... no idea what it's made of, I kind of assumed it was asbestos ... no idea if it's necessary either ... it's just there.

I keep meths/alcohol handy in a little squeeze bottle similar to this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C7CKNFG/

I give the pad a couple of seconds squirt, both sides of the burner, and set fire to it ... you just need to find what works for you. You can use too little meths and it won't light properly ... but as long as it doesn't spill all over the place, too much won't do any harm ... it just wastes meths, and wastes time waiting for it all to burn ... so try and find the sweet spot with just enough to light without problems every time.

Wait for the flame to almost go out, then open the knob and light the main burner.
If I get distracted and let the priming flame go out while I'm not looking, it's best to just start again, rather than try to light the burner ... it's probably already too late.

At some point in the process the smoke alarm will probably go off, because I have forgotten to crack open the companionway for ventilation.
Old 28-12-2017, 16:03   #6

Thank You
I will order the parts again and have another go. Fingers crossed i can solve the problems. Last time I had 45mph gust and rain for 3 days with no heating and cold food. I should offside that one a Summer Job.
Old 28-12-2017, 16:23   #7

Since this thread has reminded me ... I've just ordered new prickers from these guys:
Taylors Cooker Spares - Spares Marine

I also have the 079 heater, but it's not installed yet, since I can't work out where to put it without either it or the chimney getting in the way of something else on the boat ... so I still have a cold boat.
Old 28-12-2017, 16:31   #8

I used the gasket from a used stove with self cleaning oven and cut it in pieces long enough to form a circle in the pan. Worked perfect for keeping the alcohol from spilling. Other advice is spot on about when to light it, you should get a nice blue flame. Man I knew that stove like the back of my hand as it was always needing something but that was 35 years ago, lol. Great oven with very dry heat.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 21:20   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

The kerosene Taylors stoves are definitely pressure stoves using the Primus/Optimus burners. Unless the stove is really old or has an off brand burner, the burners should be self pricking. Should be an indicator on the knob to indicate. The self pricking mechanism is replaceable if somehow yours has gone walkabout. If not self pricking, need to get a manual pricker.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2017, 00:32   #10

Thank you for all off your reply’s.
Old 29-12-2017, 07:36   #11

Boat: Riva 48

I spent some time fixing an old Taylor diesel heater that was produced in 1959. High quality stuff. However, when trying to order some replacement parts I was advised it contained a small amount of asbestos, so it was better to replace it than try to fix it. Just beware of the risks with these super old units. It is not worth the health risk.
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2017, 09:06   #12

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

2 further points. Get a gas blow torch and use it to pre-heat instead of meths (but keep a bottle of meths for when the cylinder runs out). This way of priming is much cleaner so less jet clogging) and if you don't get it hot enough and the stove flare just shut it off and continue to prime. With meths you have to wait for it to cool or risk poring highly flammable fuel onto a hot stove!!!. This is a trick I got direct from Taylors at the London boat show and is apparently how they test burners at the factory.
The second tip is to order a spare burner. If one clogs badly (usually due to poor fuel) it is much easier to change the complete burner at sea that to have to strip and clean one. Best way I find to clean them is to take the burner off and soak it overnight in a can of coke. Comes our clean as a whistle (which may make those who drink the stuff think!)
These a brilliant stoves and much safer than bottled gas as well as more powerful. I find I use about 1-2 gal of kerosene per month depending on the climate. Once you get the hang of lighting it should only take a min or so.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2017, 10:08   #13

Boat: L.F.H S chooner 49'11" lod 64 loa

A couple of other things .. You need a special wrench to remove the nozzle. either to clean it or to replace the cleaning pricker. 2) get a lab 'wash' bottle for the alcohol (ebay),The discharge tube goes to the bottom of the squeeze bottle This prevents sucking a flame back into the bottle ,Resulting in an explosion It has happened ...An alcohol flame is all but invisible in bright light. Using any kind of other squeeze bottle like a disk wash one is asking for trouble .3) use the best kerosene that you can get,
Low grade fuels form carbon inside the burner .then they will not vaporize the liquid effectively.If using a lpg torch to preheat ..Put it on deck when not in use, Why give up the safety of kero and have lpg in the boat?
I have used these burners for 60 + years They take a bit of getting to know their tricks ,but worth it .Powerful to cook on ..
Len hornick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2017, 12:26   #14

Boat: Brewer designed Pacific 43 in fiberglass. Center cockpit set up for long-distance single handing.

The auto pricking function on these Primus, Optimus, Taylor burners works when the control valve knob is turned in one direction (forget whether it’s CC or CCW)

The built in orifice cleaner when used, has the same effect as the valve itself, that of retarding the flame. Many novice users of these burners unintentionally turn the knob to clean mode rather than the simmer setting. Both settings (directions) have the same effect, that of reducing the flame but if turned to the clean direction leaves the pricker in the orifice where the heat soon melts them.

When in a pinch for a pricker, I get out the needle nose pliers and a wire brush. Use the pliers to yank out one bristle from the wire brush and still holding this bristle with the pliers, use it to clean your orifice.
seasick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2017, 12:34   #15

Good tip and a lot cheaper than buying prickers. I was wondering what’s the average life off a picker?
I will look for diagram off the CC/CCW and Worcester it out.
Thanks again.