Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2010, 03:19   #151
CLOD

Boat: none

this thread has to be the longest private word battle I've seen on CF, maybe some should consider taking to a private forum
Old 09-12-2010, 04:14   #152

Don Shhhhhhhhh, sit dowm and have some popcorn....gee I love this place.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
Old 09-12-2010, 04:31   #153

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Point taken guys.
Even I was finding it way past tedeous.

Popcorns on me... opc orn:

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
Old 09-12-2010, 04:34   #154
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Hahahahahaa....
What happened to the "Yacht Club" philosophy.... is this not what they're all about... heated arguement about nothing interspersed with... "Your round mate"
Now until someone loose's track in the 'beer count' and who's round it is there's gonna be no moving on this one... then it'll get intelligent and interesting...
"Its your round.."
"No it is'nt.."
"Yes it is I bought the last one..."
"Hey Fred.. come here.. did'nt I just split a $20..."
"Whoa don't involve me in this.. I just work here....."

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:47   #155

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
I can’t work out where you get the idea that yachts are targeted, whereas commercial tankers are not.
I thought that the International Convention on the Control of Harmful Anti-Fouling Systems on Ships (AFS Convention) applies to all ships.
Actually it comes from the original version of the international treaty - from: Anti-Fouling Convention | MaritimeCompliance.com

As a first step, the Committee at its thirtieth session in 1990 adopted resolution MEPC.46 (30) on ``Measures to control potential adverse impacts associated with the use of tributyltin compounds in anti-fouling paints’’, which recommends that IMO Member Governments adopt measures to eliminate the use of anti-fouling paint containing TBT on non-aluminum-hulled vessels of less than 25m in length and eliminate the use of TBT-based anti- fouling paints with an average leaching rate of more than four micrograms of organotin per square centimeter per day. These recommendations were intended to be interim measures until IMO could consider a possible total prohibition of TBT compounds in anti-fouling systems.

It seems that in 2001 the "INTERNATIONAL CONVENTION ON THE CONTROL OF HARMFUL ANTI-FOULING SYSTEMS ON SHIPS, 2001" did extend the ban to all ships - except - as provided in Article 19 - "(1) This Convention may be denounced by any Party at any time after the expiry of two years from the date on which this Convention enters into force for that Party."
so that those governments who do not want or agree with the total ban can "opt out" of the "convention." And according to earlier searches the USA has still not ratified the treaty/convention which merely means that US EPA rules are the only source of restrictions on TBT, etc.
- - In real life practice as far as "Cruising Boats, Cruising People . . ." are concerned TBT is legal and available "over the counter" in the Caribbean Basin countries except maybe the French Islands or other islands still under the control of the E.U. countries.

- - An earlier comment about TBT paints not being effective in the most northern latitudes like New England the and Pacific North West or where the waters are naturally really cold - (whew) is quite true. What most folks new to cruising boats learn eventually is that one type/brand of bottom paint does not work "everywhere." Which is why there are dozens or more different brands and types of bottom paints on sale. Regional waters have different native organisms and different environmental temperatures which all affect the "potency" of different biocides. The most effective way to find out what works in your area is simply to visit lots of boatyards and talk to boat owners about what they use and how good it works. So TBT or the new Zinc paints only work well in certain regions and don't work in other regions. But that's a different thread . . .
Old 09-12-2010, 06:02   #156
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by At sea View Post
If they take it out for a trip just once a year, it'd be cheaper for them to slip it then and do it properly and in a way that's much better for the little fishes. But then that wouldn't suit the scrubbers.

But then again what would I know. Because you're right: I have "never kept a boat in California and must have a different idea of what constitutes proper boat maintenance."
Some people don't give a damn what their boat looks like or how she performs. Maybe you're one of these. But you're inference that I am have somehow conned my customers into paying for a service that they don't actually need is quite insulting and speaks volume about what you know, and don't know about boat maintenance.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:26   #157

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Some members chose to make this personal and some chose to discuss this in a manner within the rules of the forum.
I apologize to the later.
This thread is closed until the mods can discuss it.
Closed Thread

Tags
anti-fouling