Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2009, 04:16   #1

Teak cleaning

I just purchased a Bayfield 29; lotsa teak on her. Its all gray, green and dirty. What is the best method for cleaning and getting rid of the green growth. I'd like to bring it back to its rich, reddish, gloss.
Thanks,
Dan
slow leak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2009, 05:12   #2

Boat: Pearson P39Hull#72
Thumbs up Well You asked...

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow leak View Post
I just purchased a Bayfield 29; lotsa teak on her. Its all gray, green and dirty. What is the best method for cleaning and getting rid of the green growth. I'd like to bring it back to its rich, reddish, gloss.
Thanks,
Dan
Depends on how You seek to maintain the teak AFTER getting it clean?
A-Varnish
B-Oil

If "A", I'd use "purple stuff" a green citrus based product that leaches enough of the oil from the wood that a following a reasonable sanding w/no finer than 100grit & wipe down with tack cloth, You're ready to begin.

If "B" I'd use "Simple Green", less oil from the teak leached out, also does a great job, a 'green' product as well.

Both should be given a few minutes to work, have water available for rinsing, and Scotchbrite Green pads are the ticket, along with rubber gloves (especially for the 'purple stuff', as it leaches the oils from Your skin as well...You'll be peeling like a snake the next day otherwise).

Whatever you do, DON'T PRESSURE WASH the teak if it can be avoided. Teak is a SOFT wood and pressure washers (especially on boatyards) are notoriously very high pressure rated and not "adjustable". They'll drive the soft wood between the grain right out of Your teak; once it's gone, it's gone forever. Both products are safe for gelcoat as well, which should be a consideration for any other product as well.

Any "boat soap" will do the job too, just more "scrubbing" and less "almost instant" results.

From a guy who's cleaned entirely too much teak in this lifetime.
HTH
captmick39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2009, 06:20   #3

Boat: gulfstar ketch 41 Surya
Go to your local boat store and buy teak cleaner and some bronze pads. After cleaning and drying get some penetrating epoxy and give a few coats. (try the rot doctor). Finally give about five coats of using Bristol 2 part varnish.
S/V_Surya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2009, 18:15   #4

Boat: a sailing boat
Kiwi made 'Wet-n-Forget' works fine. But it will take some time.

Not much one can do - unless the teak is an inch thick and you do not care to sacrifice the top 2 mm and first clean then plane it.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote