Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2023, 07:02   #1

Teak Deck Coverup?

I'm probably just being lazy/cheap, but I am wondering if it's possible to apply a relatively thin mat/epoxy coating over an existing teak deck, and then paint it out with something relatively forgiving, like deck paint with non-skid in it.
I replaced the deck once; it is relatively thin teak epoxied in place. It's probably 30 years old now, and has lasted well, but is starting to wear thru. But, underneath is solid epoxy, so it's not leaking - just wearing out.
The teak clearly adhered to the epoxy - why can't I adhere epoxy to it, and avoid removing the entire teak deck?
Granted, it will raise the surface a bit, and still require the removal of hardware, but it seems like it would save a significant step.
The issue of aesthetics not withstanding, of course...
Thoughts...?
peterstoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 07:30   #2

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49
Re: Teak Deck Coverup?

Didn't think you could do what you asking, but the instructions for Kiwigrip indicates you can after a coat of primer or sealer.
We have Kiwigrip as our deck paint and find it works well. The grippiness can be adjusted on application.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 11:16   #3

Thanks Bill... I'll try to get that info from Kiwigrip. Maybe it's a possibility...
Old 02-05-2023, 11:57   #4

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

I've seen boats for sale where they've encapsulated old teak decks. I believe in all cases, they've fiberglassed over the teak. Paint alone, even epoxy paint, runs the risk of allowing water ingress eventually. Now, if you're sure the deck underneath is solid and impermeable, then really you're only contending with the teak possibly rotting. Encapsulated teak that gets damp from cracked surface paint, will of course stay damp longer than exposed teak. So it will be likely to eventually have rot in some areas if you don't fiberglass over it. But again, if the underlying deck is solid, and you don't care about the teak, you can always address the problem spots by grinding, fairing, and repainting. The biggest problem I can foresee is that it would be very hard to sell a boat with encapsulated old teak decks.
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 14:10   #5

Thanks M - I agree - I would probably cover the teak with glass. The deck IS solid, but it seems to me that a thin layer of glass would smooth things out a bit better. I've had the boat (a Swan 36) for 35 years, and I'll probably be buried in it, so resale isn't a big concern. But taking up the old teak deck, and replacing it again (this time for 75k or so) is a big concern... I question the value of that vs. encapsulating the deck on a boat that's worth just about that same amount...!
Old 02-05-2023, 14:14   #6

I think that makes sense. The biggest concern, glass or no glass, is if there are a lot of deck fittings on top of the teak. If you have a lot of stuff like jib tracks and padeyes on top of the teak, it will be very hard to seal the teak there.
Old 02-05-2023, 14:37   #7

I think the Kiwi Grip or similar is a good option. You dont have to worry about UV damage to epoxy or water intrusion at fittings, etc. And a product like Kiwi can just be redone or patched as you wish.
Of course taking the teak off would be a more first class job. But if the teak really is still secured to the fiberglass deck but worn... why not just leave it? Is it just dirty with some dings?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 14:40   #8

Hi - no, the teak is actually wearing out. So it is exposing the epoxy base beneath it.
It seems to me that the thing with paint only is that it would really highlight any imperfections... consider that the teak is worn, but the epoxy seams are now a bit proud. I guess I could sand the deck smooth...
Old 02-05-2023, 14:47   #9

I think you'd want to do some sort of fairing, whatever you decide. Whether that is sanding the teak down so it's flat and even, or applying an epoxy fairing compound on top of the teak.

Tags
deck, teak, teak deck