Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2013, 15:50   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Teak Deck integrity?

Going thru a dilemma. I have teak decks that need to be caulked. I am told after drilling blind holes from the inside and moister meeter test that my coring appears ok. The teak is in decent shape I did an area appx. 2x2 feet cleaning and sanding the seams then caulking the seams letting dry and sanding. This all took a total of 4 hours I'm old and it was a PITA. Doing some quick math tells me I need appx 160 total hours to complete this project plus the ongoing upkeep. I have a quote to remove the teak recore if necessary refinish the decks with Algrip nonskid. This whole deal will cost about 1300.00 more than what I would have to spend in material and do the refinishing my self. My dilemma will removing the teak weaken the decks? Anybody that has done the same were you satisfied with the end results? If bad coring is found does cutting away the top glass comprise the strength of the boat? Thanks for all input.
casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 15:59   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Teak Deck integrity?

mine had been redone before i bought this boat. i would rather have the teak decks as this fg stuff is slick even with non skid. teak is a lot better as nonskid.

when the fg was done on these decks they built it up more than i have seen--it is strong. even if my 1/4 in ply core were found to be soft it is still strong and without give. they didnt do that with my bow deck, however--that is strong only in strategic places
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 16:14   #3

The decks after removing the teak on my HC 38 seemed solid. But those boats are way overbuilt. It seems to me that recaulking your decks should be way cheaper than removing & painting etc.....?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 16:34   #4

What's the surface under the teak?
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 16:35   #5
Marine Service Provider

Thanks guy's I have a Cabo Rico 38 and from what I have seen it looks as though the glass is 7/16 or so thick then teak on top had a 250 lb friend jump up and down on it seemed solid .
Old 04-10-2013, 16:40   #6
Marine Service Provider

Rebel Heart. Fiberglass then balsa coring followed by a molded liner.
Old 04-10-2013, 16:48   #7
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by casual View Post
Going thru a dilemma. I have teak decks that need to be caulked. I am told after drilling blind holes from the inside and moister meeter test that my coring appears ok. The teak is in decent shape I did an area appx. 2x2 feet cleaning and sanding the seams then caulking the seams letting dry and sanding. This all took a total of 4 hours I'm old and it was a PITA. Doing some quick math tells me I need appx 160 total hours to complete this project plus the ongoing upkeep. I have a quote to remove the teak recore if necessary refinish the decks with Algrip nonskid. This whole deal will cost about 1300.00 more than what I would have to spend in material and do the refinishing my self. My dilemma will removing the teak weaken the decks? Anybody that has done the same were you satisfied with the end results? If bad coring is found does cutting away the top glass comprise the strength of the boat? Thanks for all input.

Jump on that, it's a great deal if its actually well done. Strength shouldn't be an issue, usually a layer or two of glass is put on anyway to glass up all the screw holes. Should actually come out stronger and lighter, and your balsa core will probably live longer too. Plus teak sucks, too hot and too much maintenance. If your painters use Awlgrip, they probably do skid in Griptex, which blows teak out of the water in every category but looks (depending on personal taste).

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 17:14   #8

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by casual View Post
That's actually a pretty good deal. I did a Peterson 44. 2 Guys removing bungs and screw in one weekend, removal of teak the next weekend and prepping the next weekend. We chamfered to holes and filled with a mixture of epoxy/millfibers and cabosil. Sanded and stipple rolled Awlgrip mixed with cabosil for non-skid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
mine had been redone before i bought this boat. i would rather have the teak decks as this fg stuff is slick even with non skid. teak is a lot better as nonskid.
You have the wrong non-skid me thinks.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, teak deck