Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2016, 02:42   #1

Boat: Dufour 310
Teak deck life question

We are looking at a 41ft x-yacht with a laid deck over glass. 2000 model.
The survey has been completed and the normal list of annoying faults.

However, a big issue could be the deck. To my eye it looks cosmetically good. The surveyor has found a dozen or so places where it is lifting and while serviceable has given an estimate to replace the whole thing at a prohibitive expense.

I have had no experience with a teak laid deck. My question is how long would you expect a teak deck to last?
ben373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 04:16   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50
Re: Teak deck life question

my boat is 33 years old and is on its second deck ! All depends on how good it was layed and glued not screwed . Had to recaulk 4 years ago . Not a fun job but worth it. The price of a new deck is now prohibitive so next time we will use cork in about 5 years I hope.
Old 24-08-2016, 04:30   #3
cruiser

Ours is glued down and badly needed refinishing and recaulking four years ago when we purchased her, which I did myself over he past three summers. It's now 15 years old and with care and no washing I expect at least another 10 years. They're awesome.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 04:57   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cheoy Lee, 44 Cutter. Dolce Far Niente

Teak decks have changed a lot over the last 15-20 years. The availability of inexpensive old growth teak from the far east is no more, so the manufacturers have reduced the board thickness by 30%, and the old method of glue and screwing has been replaced by vacuum bagging.
My boat has an original teak deck and the boards after 34 years are still thicker than what is offered as a replacement deck for $40K. I pulled all the screws ( over 2,000 ) and removed and cleaned all the boards. I am getting ready to re-bed all the boards with teak decking systems product. Then the whole thing needs to be caulked. This is a HUGE job on a 44' boat, but a brand new deck would not have given me a longer deck life and a is lot more money. I see a lot of 10-15 year old boats where the owners are already replacing the decks. The days of getting 30+ years from a factory deck are gone due to cost cutting on the original install.
rourkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 04:59   #5

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben373 View Post
...how long would you expect a teak deck to last?
It depends on too many variables for you to get meaningful feedback from others for your specific deck. How a deck is installed and cared for makes all the difference in the world. Ask your surveyor.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 06:29   #6

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

The teak decks on our boat were so thin after 16 years, bungs wouldn't stay in. We had the teak removed, added three layers of fiberglass, painted and never looked back. Whereas I prefer the looks of teak over either gel coat or painted decks, the additional maintenance isn't worth it to me.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 08:36   #7

Boat: Sou'wester 50 yawl

I have owned a number of boats. Two of these boats had laid teak decks, a Cheoy Lee Offshore and a classic schooner. Both of these had to have their teak decks replaced. When you walk on the deck and it's like a trampoline, or you note discoloration around many of the bungs, usually from deterioration of the stainless steel fastenings, you will need the deck replaced now or in the future. The teak overlay has to be removed, the outer layer of the fiberglass sandwich and the rotten core, usually balsa, removed and a new epoxy outer layer replaced. If you are just peeing in your pants to have a teak deck a new teak overlay must be epoxy bonded , not fastened, to the new deck. This will cost about 25 to forty thousand bucks.

I also have owned two Hinckleys, a B40 and a SW50, neither of these had teak decks and never had a problem with deck leaks. Nonetheless, some Hinckley customers have insisted on teak decks and Hinckley solved this by grinding down the nonskid and epoxying on a teak overlay. Even then there were a couple of problems with water working between the teak and fiberglass.
kellyp08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 08:45   #8

Boat: Grand Banks 49

Quote:

However, a big issue could be the deck. To my eye it looks cosmetically good. The surveyor has found a dozen or so places where it is lifting and while serviceable has given an estimate to replace the whole thing at a prohibitive expense.

I have had no experience with a teak laid deck. My question is how long would you expect a teak deck to last?
===

The biggest enemies of teak decks are sunlight (UV) and fresh water. Our boat has teak decks that are ready to be replaced but the decking underneath the fly bridge enclosure still looks like new. If I had a boat with new teak decks I'd get canvas covers made to protect them when the boat is not in use.
wayne.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 08:47   #9
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

durability depends on maintenance practices. sand it all away, doesnt last long at all. treat properly and will last decades
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 08:48   #10

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:

You can wait until it needs replacement and install one of the fakes. These are less expensive, more forgiving to unfriendly footwear and as new models are coming out they are also more similar looking to the real thing.
meirriba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 09:16   #11

it sounds like your teak deck in question is a modern type which is not screwed down. I doubt anyone knows the answer to your question as there are a lot of variables involved. But if it is lifting up already, then assume it needs replaced immediately. Negotiate based on that and then remove it all and put on non skid maybe! I assume it is thin teak and adds nothing much to the deck rigidity.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 09:23   #12

Guy down the way has a 1964 Frisco Flyer with the original teak decks. Look as good as new. Depends on how thick the teak and how well cared for. Salt water wash down is about all you should do; as well as repairing any seam compound that starts to wear away. He tents it in the winter months. We had teak decks on our ketch and those lasted 33 years before we sold the tub. But in both cases the teak was screwed, glued, and bunged down on top of fiberglass.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 11:11   #13

Boat: a sailing boat

It depends on the boat make and how / where the boat is used, etc.

I have found on most modern day boats the teak lasts from 7 to 15 years between replacements.

Replacement cost from 600 to 1000 EUR per sq m (11 sq ft) where we live. Repair 300 EUR per sq m and upwards (cleaning, caulking, sanding).

Unless the technology is screw on, an old teak deck is just that - ugly but not dangerous.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 11:28   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

naturally grown far east teak 200 years if you do not grind it and handle it with care = soft brush and if possible rinse daily with salt water
New plantage teak 20 years.
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 12:42   #15

Boat: Cavalier 45

Teak decks look fabulous when they're in good condition and they offer good non slip properties.
On the down side they have a shelf life of approx 20 years and are almost too hot to stand on in the tropics. If you sail in warm climates I wouldn't favour them. I have this year removed our teak side decks and cabin tops and replaced with painted non skid over fibreglass. The boat looks brand new and the deck will now last as long as the rest of the boat. All at a mere cost of $50,000 NZ dollars.
Oh the joys of boat ownership!
Lanevdl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, teak, teak deck