Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2024, 13:01   #1

Teak Deck Repairs

Teak decks on some boats are glued to a thin backing and then a caulking is used to adhere to deck. I have repaired numerous planks of sailboats and power boats which used this process for teak decks. The teak separates from the thin backing (water ingress)which the teak is glued to, ( not sure what adhesive is used. Eventually the planks lift or split. I remove the teak plank and backing down to the caulking used to adhere the backing to the deck. I remove most of the caulking, scrap and level the surface. I replace with individual teak quarter sawn planks using TDS caulking to attach to deck and caulk the seams with the same product using weights to help with the process. Once the seams are cured, I sand to level the surface with the other planks. I have replaced sections of teak planks 3/16 to 1/4 inch thick. My choice is TDS SIS 440. The tensile strength is 300 psi ( 2.05 MPa) Elongation 850%, shore hardness 38 - 40 and can be sanded. The product information / Data sheet for TDS seems to rate higher than Sikaflex 298 which is suggested for teak decks. Some pictures attached.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Teak plank spits lifting.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	416.2 KB
ID:	290031

Name:	<a title=Teak deck repair 1.jpg Views: 21 Size: 447.2 KB ID: 290032" style="margin: 2px" />

Name:	Teak plank finished.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	415.4 KB
ID:	290033
pympaul7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repairs, deck, teak, teak deck, repair