Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2021, 05:55   #1

Boat: TBD
TEAK DECK REPLACEMENT

I am looking for recommendations for boatyards in the Caribbean or Cartagena to replace teak decking. What is the cost for this on a 38 Hans? I will consider other materials and would appreciate hearing other opinions. Other work I'm considering includes S.S. aft arch and solar.
COdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 06:02   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: TEAK DECK REPLACEMENT

Welcome to the forum, COdude. Get yourself a cup of coffee while the teak deck people gather. My only exposed wood is a sacrificial rub rail, made of 1x4 pine from Home Depot....
Old 02-06-2021, 06:17   #3

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Was the old decking screw or glue down? If screw down, would add in an additional cost buffer if they find deck issues under the old teak.
Also if you buy new "teak" make certain it is real teak and not an Australian beechwood or other substitute wood. Have seen this type of substitution on newer (glue down) high end name brand production boats claiming its teak, but when the wood gets wet it pills/has worms of wood that come off the wood surface. Real teak doesn't do this.
I know your boat has a high amount of wood outside, but for the tropics I would remove the teak from the decks to keep the boat cooler inside. It maybe cheaper to do this than replace the teak.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 06:23   #4

Yeah, another non-skid material is likely less expensive as well. Thanks tkeithlu!
Old 02-06-2021, 06:26   #5

Boat: Boatless

We had our teak deck renovated in Cartagena and a friend had his removed. Excellent workers at very reasonable prices.

Usually better to just have it removed.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 06:33   #6

Hi Bill, The deck is screwed, judging from the bungs. The condition below the teak is certainly an unknown at this time. Thank you for the heads up on Australian beechwood. Cheaper and cooler both sound good! Thanks again!
Old 02-06-2021, 06:38   #7

Good to know that Cartagena has excellent workers. Can you pass on any recommended boatyard names? And removal of the teak is becoming a consistent theme! Thank you Phil.
Old 02-06-2021, 06:52   #8

Boat: Lord Nelson, 41

Check out Antigua. I believe the yard at Antigua Slipway does traditional teak decking and restoration as well as having a relationship with Teak Decking Systems of Sarasota if you prefer custom premanufactured panels.
VChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 07:00   #9

I'll check out the yard at Antigua Slipway...thanks VChild!
Old 02-06-2021, 07:39   #10

Boat: Hylas 54

I recently replaced some teak decking on my boat. I made templates, had the new deck panels made in Florida by Maritime Wood Products, and did the installation myself. The panels were $75/sqft for 3/8" thick. I am happy with the quality.
jt11791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 08:16   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by COdude View Post
I am looking for recommendations for boatyards in the Caribbean or Cartagena to replace teak decking. What is the cost for this on a 38 Hans? I will consider other materials and would appreciate hearing other opinions. Other work I'm considering includes S.S. aft arch and solar.
You are probably looking at $15-20k to replace. I had my teak decking removed in Trinidad on a HC 38 and repainted the deck etc.

Here are some things I learned:
-The decking was floated on a lot of black caulking and there was ZERO water intrusion into the fiberglass.
-The teak was thick enough I could have just had it rescrewed, replugged and caulked and been fine. I highly recommend doing this. It doesn't matter how thin the teak is, the fiberglass deck is indestructibly thick.
-You might even consider just not rescrewing it and just bung the holes instead. (See next note)
-The deck removal was very difficult, I had to use a crowbar and break the teak into short pieces at every screw hole the caulking was so tough and adhered. (no screws were actually necessary)
-The black residue left on the fiberglass was nearly impossible to get off. So I installed Treadmaster instead of just painting non skid.
-Plan on painting the deck and maybe the cabin even if you use another non skid, the teak was all the way to the cabin edge and you'll have to paint it in various spots anyway.
-The Treadmaster looked very nice, was sharp on bare feet and didn't help sell the boat at all apparently.
-I just always wanted to try lightening the boat a bit and getting rid of the teak decks. ( I replaced a hatch with aluminum also etc) The cast bronze traveler must have weighed 80 lbs! At 6 ft above CG that's like a loss of 500# of ballast!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 16:34   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt11791 View Post
I recently replaced some teak decking on my boat. I made templates, had the new deck panels made in Florida by Maritime Wood Products, and did the installation myself. The panels were $75/sqft for 3/8" thick. I am happy with the quality.
This is a possible option for me too. Thank you!
Old 02-06-2021, 16:39   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
You are probably looking at $15-20k to replace. I had my teak decking removed in Trinidad on a HC 38 and repainted the deck etc.

Here are some things I learned:
-The decking was floated on a lot of black caulking and there was ZERO water intrusion into the fiberglass.
-The teak was thick enough I could have just had it rescrewed, replugged and caulked and been fine. I highly recommend doing this. It doesn't matter how thin the teak is, the fiberglass deck is indestructibly thick.
-You might even consider just not rescrewing it and just bung the holes instead. (See next note)
-The deck removal was very difficult, I had to use a crowbar and break the teak into short pieces at every screw hole the caulking was so tough and adhered. (no screws were actually necessary)
-The black residue left on the fiberglass was nearly impossible to get off. So I installed Treadmaster instead of just painting non skid.
-Plan on painting the deck and maybe the cabin even if you use another non skid, the teak was all the way to the cabin edge and you'll have to paint it in various spots anyway.
-The Treadmaster looked very nice, was sharp on bare feet and didn't help sell the boat at all apparently.
-I just always wanted to try lightening the boat a bit and getting rid of the teak decks. ( I replaced a hatch with aluminum also etc) The cast bronze traveler must have weighed 80 lbs! At 6 ft above CG that's like a loss of 500# of ballast!
This info answers and bunch of questions for me. It is very interesting to me that the recommendation not to replace the teak is nearly unanimous! In Trinidad, did you perform all the work or have the yard do some? If so, and if you were happy with them, can you pass on the name of the yard? Thank you!
Old 02-06-2021, 18:36   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by COdude View Post
This info answers and bunch of questions for me. It is very interesting to me that the recommendation not to replace the teak is nearly unanimous! In Trinidad, did you perform all the work or have the yard do some? If so, and if you were happy with them, can you pass on the name of the yard? Thank you!
Yes, we tend to want to just "rid ourselves" of the teak. In reality it's great non skid and thick. It's wood... repairable!
I removed the decking , then had the prep and painting done. Then I installed the Treadmaster myself. The guy I used is a well known older guy/helpers, but I can't remember his name, if someone here mentions it I would know it. Both the two big yards there have good people who contract (not directly through the yard). ("Peake" and "Powerboats")Probably best would be word of mouth from other cruisers once you are in the area. Many people have work done in hurricane season there. These things change in a year or two.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 18:48   #15

Boat: 48' Alu Cat

I've had the screwed on teak deck on my 1980 Passport 42 replaced in Thailand in 2007.
What a waist of money! Teak is trouble, was very happy when I sold the boat.
Fiberglass the deck, that's what I would do next time.
Seman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, men, teak, teak deck