Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2021, 09:16   #61
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Teak decks. Should I run away????

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
OK! Teak decks eventually leak, got it! Teak decks are expensive to repair, got it!

So why is just about every cored deck on a plastic boat over 10 year old waterlogged?

Is it because eventually, a cored deck will leak? Depending on the extent they are seriously expensive to repair.

Seems like a wash!

Sorry I have a cored deck and at 16 years there no wet areas. There are loads of grp boats with dry cores on the go. Certainly not “ waterlogged “

The point is take a perfectly sealed grp deck then put in 4000 screws into a cored deck which isn’t designed to take screws in the first place

Sounds good to me.
Old 15-11-2021, 09:21   #62

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'
Re: Teak decks. Should I run away????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issywa View Post
Regarding the original question of inspection for a wet core, I wonder if an infrared red scan might be able to pick up a wet core? As I understand, there needs to be a temperature difference between the cabin interior and teak exterior. A friend recently had this done on his boat for insurance purposes. Not sure if this is possible but I’d investigate it
The simple answer is yes. The key is to choose conditions where the temperature difference between the wet core and dry core is maximized. There are times when this delta T could be very small and undetectable with other factors coming into the equation to give you a false indication.

So the best time for an inspection is when there is a rapid ambient temperature change. I would suggest morning or evening when the rate of air temperature change is the most.

Another time might be when the hull or deck has been in direct sun for an hour or so. Be wary of shadows moving across the surface as they could give you a false indication.

Basically, you want to have a temperature gradient between the inside of the hull surface and the exterior hull surface.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2021, 09:54   #63
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issywa View Post
Regarding the original question of inspection for a wet core, I wonder if an infrared red scan might be able to pick up a wet core? As I understand, there needs to be a temperature difference between the cabin interior and teak exterior. A friend recently had this done on his boat for insurance purposes. Not sure if this is possible but I’d investigate it
Scroll down to the bottom of this article to see some examples and the complexities of infrared thermography on boats.

Moisture Meter Mythology and Flir thermal imager
Old 15-11-2021, 10:53   #64

Remember the old Herreshoff quote "the only thing that needs extra weight is a steam roller". Teak decks are nothing but problematic extra weight that certainly isn't going to help your boat sail well, and will surely cost you money and time in the future.
Tomaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2021, 11:10   #65

Boat: S&S 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by George DuBose View Post
Flex-i-teek
Yuck, couldn't think of anything more hideous.
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2021, 11:22   #66
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

Hideous??? I don't think so and I can pressure wash it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	skylark.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	443.2 KB
ID:	248341  
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2021, 11:25   #67

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

While their always has been, and always will be extremes/outliers, as well as anecdotal evidence, in a general way the future issues that would arise with teak being used as a covering material for fiberglass decks largely started with the "glory days" of the Taiwan built boats of the '70s>'80s.
And, with the American yards as well.
So, a few decades later we see the results of what was, shall we say, "less than correct construction procedures".
As has been posted by others, their is no intrinsic reason that teak has to leak.
Outside of the Gougeon method of using teak for decks, perhaps the best scenario for teak is as a "real" deck.
Thick planks fastened to beams directly with no underlayment and with seams properly payed/caulked.
Then, when their is a leak, (and it will,) you can see exactly where it is and deal with it.
Of course initial costs are horrendous.
Bowdrie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2021, 13:21   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowdrie View Post
… perhaps the best scenario for teak is as a "real" deck.
Thick planks fastened to beams directly with no underlayment and with seams properly payed/caulked.
Then, when their is a leak, (and it will,) you can see exactly where it is and deal with it.
Of course initial costs are horrendous.

That’s the way one builder I know in I dis still builds it’s wood boats. Good quality methods and materials. The problem is that the cost of the wood hull/deck isn’t any cheaper than building in steel or fiberglass. So what’s the advantage???
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2021, 13:26   #69

Boat: Bristol Channel Cutter 28 1878

If you do plan to renew the teak decking, this video demonstrates a technique in which most of the planks are saved and reused.

Penna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2021, 16:29   #70

Okay, you have teak decks that are 22 years old. Give it 5 years and you will need new decks. If you can’t remove the headliner, how can you remove deck gear to replace the decks? This may be acceptable once a big job like replacement is commissioned. To check for water in the core, get a vacuum cleaner, remove the dodgy screws and suck like crazy. Check around the screw hole on the teak for moisture. If there is, remove another couple of screws in that area and set vacuum on blow. Blow into a few of the holes and see if you get any air/moisture out of the others nearby. This will tell you if the core itself has been compromised. This is not a perfect test especially if you are talking microscopic quantities of water but on my boat it worked.
moodyfinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2021, 16:32   #71

Boat: Gypsy 28 extended to 37

Another thing to consider about teak decks is that they would make the boat very hot in hot countries. When we travelled south offshore several years ago, we had very light grey decks, and even then they created greater heat in the boat, when we were in Mexico, and we didn't even get as far south as the South Pacific or Caribbean! When we painted the decks white there was a huge difference in the interior heat.
Lightwave99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2021, 17:49   #72

Boat: Presently between vessels

It is really nit that big of a deal. If the teak is not too worn down just enjoy it. If it is too far gone, remove it. Dry out the holes. If necessary, cut out water damaged core and fill the hole with epoxy filler. Sand the deck, cover it with epoxy and anti-slip. It is only expensive if you have to pay for high priced labor. There are numerous youtube videos to show how to do it.
RobPatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2021, 20:56   #73

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobPatterson View Post
It is really nit that big of a deal. If the teak is not too worn down just enjoy it. If it is too far gone, remove it. Dry out the holes. If necessary, cut out water damaged core and fill the hole with epoxy filler. Sand the deck, cover it with epoxy and anti-slip. It is only expensive if you have to pay for high priced labor. There are numerous youtube videos to show how to do it.
This sounds like the advice and wisdom from someone who has never done the job himself. All the folks that I know who have done the job would likely disagree with your opinion of the difficulty, expense and time involved.

Jim
Old 15-11-2021, 21:02   #74
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
This sounds like the advice and wisdom from someone who has never done the job himself. All the folks that I know who have done the job would likely disagree with your opinion of the difficulty, expense and time involved.

Jim
and the method and materials
Old 15-11-2021, 21:06   #75

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

^^^^^

Yep, those too!

Jim

Tags
deck, teak, teak deck