Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2020, 18:41   #16

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 1150
Re: Teak on cockpit seats

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post

With our boat in the Med, and us in Australia until probably 2023, when we return, may be the time to completely strip with the cleaner, and start again (I always thought we would re-do every 10 years or so). Time will tell.

In the meantime, here (about 01:18 in if you can't be bothered with the start), is how we do it - very quick and easy with my 'squirt and spread' technique.
https://youtu.be/Qt0uel_v-kY
Thanks for the pointer to the video. Nice spot. And your technique looks very fast - I will give it a try when we can next get to our boat in Tahiti. I'm not worried about the browning of the caulking so much as the preservation of the teak.
Old 23-11-2020, 19:43   #17

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon1150 View Post
Thanks for the pointer to the video. Nice spot. And your technique looks very fast - I will give it a try when we can next get to our boat in Tahiti. I'm not worried about the browning of the caulking so much as the preservation of the teak.
Should work well for you then. Preservation of the teak is of course number one, but we do miss the full-black caulking.

On that, I note often, those who think teak is hard work. We were in that camp once, but the boat we wanted was the last available, and it came fully spec'd, including the full teak decks.

Once we got onto Semco, and found how well it worked, we changed our position. We figure four hours a year maintenance is not an issue, and on top of that, the decks stay cleaner looking for longer.

Hope you get back to Tahiti soon!

David
Old 03-04-2021, 15:11   #18

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis, 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCoastSailor View Post
After 12 years of justing washing the cockpit teak in my 343 with boat soap and brush (I think I used teak cleaner twice) I may have caused a problem. I have lost a millimeter or so of the teak in two areas. It appears to me that the teak is attached at least in part with pointing end of tacks pointed up; I guess it might be glued as well? If you look close at pics you can sea the metal protruding above teak and the teak being below the rubber sealant.

I will likely go with artificial when the time comes to fully fix.
Any thoughts on how you will recover from this? My Bene is 9 years old (all in Australia NSW / VIC) and we've been good about keeping the teak clean with water / saltwater and the occasional cleaner. There are some spots that need some sanding and the grout is started to protrude in areas.

This winter sounds like a good time to tackle this and do some re-furbishing. Suggestions welcome especially if you're experienced and recovered something similar to EmeraldCoastSailor's pics in the post above.
capblasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 15:47   #19

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

WARNING! Test a small spot before you use stripper, cleaner, oil, or heat. I have seen a teak deck where the black caulk was turned to sticky goo due to some chemical attack. It came off on your feet, and was a very messy project to clean out and recaulk.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cockpit, teak